Skip to main content

It's all about perspective, or so they say.

So I’ve been doing a little room improvement, which has led to a lot of re-arrangement of bookshelves, which has in turn led to a lot of rediscovery of old journals / favorite postcards / art supplies. And photos. Lots and lots of photos. More specifically, I was surprised to remember that I went through a phase where I actually bothered to create photo albums and scrapbooks for trips in my life.

I spent a good hour sitting on the floor, surrounded by bookshelf detritus, flipping through old albums, laughing and remembering the good times: the roadtrip my friends and I took in high school, the dress-up my friend Mark played freshman year of college, the trip my best friend and I took to Australia… but what struck me the most was the difference in how I looked then and now. And then, and then, and then…

One album was made up of photos from my dad’s 50th birthday celebration in Italy. We were both pre-GB, and boy did it show. I had completely forgotten how huge I was, and more importantly how shapeless. In all the photos I look so uncomfortable. And what’s really weird is that, while everyone else looks pretty much the same, only younger, my dad and I look nothing like our current selves.

And another album, which is a sort of photo scrapbook of my exchange trip to Spain, was an eye-opener in a different way. I went to Spain 2 weeks after the GB surgery; I’d lost 30 pounds and was wearing all new clothes, and I remember thinking I looked pretty good. in fact, I was stunned when a friend’s host mother made a comment about how ‘gorda’ I was. But looking back now, I see little difference between that me and the one from the Italy trip. And that in itself is a wake-up call about how much or how little a few (or 30) pounds can mean to someone, depending on where she is in her journey.

It’s weird and uncomfortable and sad to see how heavy I was, but it also puts things into perspective so much. I’ve been feeling so fat and unhappy lately, like I’ll never lose the weight I want to lose and I must be so much bigger than everyone else; to see these photos reminds me how far I’ve come, and how much more normal I look. No, I’m not slender, but I’m not that big either, and I forget that sometimes.

I put the albums on my new bookshelf, and I’ve resolved to look at them more often. Not just for a reality check on weight, but for nostalgia’s sake, for the memories of all the good times I had. My weight, although it has always been a big deal to me, hasn’t really stopped me from having a good time in life, and I want to remember that. If I could have fun with my friends in Spain at 300 pounds, then why shouldn’t I enjoy myself in Miami at 200?

Comments

dereklipkin said…
That is exactly right! It's great that you realized that you can still have happy times, even if something is getting you down. It's a cliché, but life is way too short to miss out on awesomeness when you have the opportunity.

Additionally, you know you've come so far and you feel the need need to go further, but this is evidence that you can make it! And you know you'll have support along the way. Certainly mine, and I think I can speak for Sara, too.

You've also inspired me to look at my old photos more, too. I keep them all on my iPod, so I will be pulling them out now and again to just look back and smile.

See! Positivity wins, as always. Happy chairs unite!

Popular posts from this blog

This book stuff is harder than it seems...

So as I think I may have mentioned, I have to write a book for my MA in Creative Nonfiction, and I decided to write a memoir about this whole GB experience, including childhood stuff and family dynamics in addition to the process of surgery and the mental and physical results of the change.  I thought it would be so easy.  I mean, I spend 90% of my time thinking about my body anyway, how hard could it be to put those thoughts down in the form of an interesting, structured narrative? NOT, that's how easy.  I haven't written one single word of the book, and I'm having a really hard time starting.  And the longer I put it off, the more afraid I am of failing at my goal to write a funny, frank narrative; I'm terrified it'll end up as a 'poor me' memoir, and I'll have proven my dad right in saying that this project is self-indulgent and useless.  And that's not the only surprise stumbling block... When I tell people what I'm writing about, they al...

More scars, inside this time.

I was supposed to get married yesterday.   I had the dress, the caterers, the guest list – most importantly I had the man, whom I loved with a certainty I’d long thought impossible. But I didn’t.   Get married, or have the man, as it turned out.   I was cut brutally loose, with little warning, and spent the summer floundering and desperately trying to weave together some semblance of a life for myself from the shreds of who I was before things imploded. The good news: I’m getting there.   I’m in therapy, which is helping me strengthen my emotional core; I’m dating new people, which is a constant reminder that I’m not totally worthless to every male member of the human race; I’m actively looking for a full-time job (and the health insurance that comes along with it); and I’m reconnecting with my amazing, wonderful girlfriends, a gang of whom spent the weekend with me at a vacation cabin in Healdsburg, distracting me from my sorrows w...

Can technology help me Lose It, or will I get lost in the numbers?

A few weeks ago I downloaded a new app for my iPhone called Lose It. It’s a calorie counter, but it also incorporates exercise, and the best part is that it’s pretty non-judgmental, as these things go. It lets you choose your own goal, and how fast you want to lost the weight, and then it just calculates the numbers for you. For example, I told it my current weight (I don’t want to talk about it) and that I wanted to lose thirty pounds (yes, hopelessly idealistic) in six months (hey, you gotta have some realism). And it told me my calorie allowance was roughly 2,100 per day. Way higher than I expected! Which is the other thing about this app: it makes me feel good about my eating habits! I have it tracking my nutrients as well, and besides the fact that I eat about twice as much sodium as I’m supposed to (yeah, yeah, whatever. Salt is gooooood), I’m pretty on-target with everything else. And I’ve been coming in under my calorie count pretty much every day. Even Easter! And I...