Skip to main content

Earning my stripes

Well, I promised you an update, but don’t come crying to me if it bores you.
I have this dress. It’s adorable. I love it to pieces, not least because it has huge pockets and cost 8 pounds (Primark). But there’s a problem with the dress. Well, not with the dress; it’s with me. This dress, like so many of my favorite/hated dresses, is strapless.
Now, putting aside for the moment the difficulty of finding a good, comfortable strapless bra, the issue is this: I have wings. Not just wings, but striped wings.
Did anybody watch The Real World, Hollywood? If so, did you notice Joey’s fatty stretch marks? That’s what happens when you work out too much or you allow a tiny parasite to invade your uterus: you get silvery lines of ‘oh god WHY’ messages from your skin. Incidentally, it’s also what happens when you gain a ton of weight. And when you lose it, you keep the lines, as a sort of ‘fuck you’ lack of forgiveness from the body’s largest organ.
Me, I have these things all over. Actually, they’re not bad on my stomach or hips, but for some reason they’re pretty bad on my chest/boob-sides (and the absolute WORST are the ones that show up, thankfully only in certain light, on the rounds of my shoulders). I know. Sexy. Anyway, most girls have them on their boobs, because they usually sprout pretty fast and take the skin by surprise. But mine are nearer to my armpits, I guess. Basically they’re RIGHT where strapless dresses like to sit. So not only do I get these little soft wing-y bits (which I try to resist poking), but they have stretch marks on them. I’m too young to have obvious stretch marks!
The really painful part is this: strapless dresses should look great on me. I have the perfect figure for them, and I have a lovely collarbone and pretty nice shoulders (in most light). The part of me from the boobs up is really what I like to highlight. But the striped wings ruin all that! It’s too, too depressing.
I’m wearing the dress anyway, partly because I love it and it’s super comfy, but mostly because my boyfriend and my best friend and anyone else I ask (including my harsh, honest mother) says the wings aren’t noticeable to anyone but me, but the experience is much dampened by my self-consciousness. I think I might start using cocoa butter or something; isn’t that supposed to work on stretch marks? Any advice??
It’s sad when a 23-year-old is cruising pregnancy websites for ideas about how to deal with her body issues. But then again, what the hell would I write about if I liked the way I look?

Comments

dereklipkin said…
You can probably add me to that list of people who would affirm your good-looking status when wearing this dress. When have you not looked good? Seriously? I'd be hard-pressed to conjure an image where you might.

Unfortunately, this is not my area of expertise (which is probably a nice way of putting it). But maybe you could learn more about the nature of stretch marks? I mean, I know they won't go away completely, but maybe there are some daily routines you can do, like eating foods that help your skin, that can help your skin in the long run, thereby helping you in your quest to conceal them.

Either way, remember, you are beautiful because you are you! (I had to stay consistent, no?)
Anonymous said…
Also Bio-oil really works for scars and stretch marks (but, of ocurse, it is expensive)!
Anne said…
Anon, I actually bought some bio oil a few years ago and then promptly forgot to bring it back to London with me! Maybe I'll have a look for it now before I fly back... Thanks!
~A

Popular posts from this blog

Do fat women have it worse than fat men?

I've always said that being fat is harder on women than it is on men.  Not only is there a lot more societal pressure to be stick thin rather than just healthy, which men don't seem to get, but it's a lot harder to be seen as physically attractive if you're even ten or fifteen pounds overweight. Anyway, it seems I'm not the only one thinking these things.  There's an article in the NYTimes today about overweight and obese women doing worse than men financially, an interesting angle on the effects of obesity, and in it they say: Why doesn’t body size affect men’s attainment as much as women’s? One explanation is that overweight girls are more stigmatized and isolated in high school compared with overweight boys. Other studies have shown that body size is one of the primary ways Americans judge female — but not male — attractiveness. We also know that the social stigma associated with obesity is strongest during adolescence. So perhaps teachers and pee

Hitting bottom.

“Well, maybe that’s not such a bad thing,” my mother says when I tell her I can’t eat and I’m losing weight as a result of my most recent heartbreak, “maybe when all this is over you’ll look in the mirror and –” I have just enough strength left in me to stop her before she completely echoes the voice in the back of my head, the one that’s been telling me that not eating for days, while it might fuck up my metabolism in the long run, might also make me more attractive to potential new men in the short term. But I don’t want to be attractive to new men – never mind the nagging fear that it's impossible.   I just want my man to come back and erase everything he’s done to me in the past nine months.   I want to wake up tomorrow and have this all be a bad dream – the cheating, the lies, the images in my mind of him holding that conniving, revolting, vile girl in our bed, the searing pain in my heart that keeps me awake nights – and I want to roll over and playf

Can technology help me Lose It, or will I get lost in the numbers?

A few weeks ago I downloaded a new app for my iPhone called Lose It. It’s a calorie counter, but it also incorporates exercise, and the best part is that it’s pretty non-judgmental, as these things go. It lets you choose your own goal, and how fast you want to lost the weight, and then it just calculates the numbers for you. For example, I told it my current weight (I don’t want to talk about it) and that I wanted to lose thirty pounds (yes, hopelessly idealistic) in six months (hey, you gotta have some realism). And it told me my calorie allowance was roughly 2,100 per day. Way higher than I expected! Which is the other thing about this app: it makes me feel good about my eating habits! I have it tracking my nutrients as well, and besides the fact that I eat about twice as much sodium as I’m supposed to (yeah, yeah, whatever. Salt is gooooood), I’m pretty on-target with everything else. And I’ve been coming in under my calorie count pretty much every day. Even Easter! And I