Skip to main content

Saying goodbye to the dress, and hello to a whole lot of complicated feelings


“It was weird, though,” I say, turning to look briefly at my boyfriend’s face and check my blind spot before turning off the main road into our little potholed neighborhood. “I’m standing there, surrounded by all these beautiful dresses, and half of me is like ‘ooh, yeah, I am so coming here when we get engaged,’ and super excited about the selection, and the other half…the other half is basically like ‘are you really going to do this again? Are you really going to try on dresses and put down deposits and announce to the world that you're happy and in love – and trust that the world isn't going to laugh in your face and bitch-slap you in return?’”

I pause for a breath as I turn onto our block, dodging the ancient, rickety trailer that haunts the curb at the corner. He’s quiet, so I try to smooth over the rough stuff I’ve just let fly: “Don’t worry; I’m working on all this. I’ll figure it out.” I’m not at all sure I’ll figure it out, but I’m desperate to. “I mean, I want to get engaged, so I have to – I want to be engaged, like, now, so I have to get my shit together quickly!”

“Yeah, you do.” His tone is light – or as light as it can be, given that I’ve basically just told him I’m terrified of getting engaged to him. This isn’t brand-new information; we talked a little bit about my newly realized fear of the engagement process, especially wedding planning, last night. But 24 hours is hardly enough time to process something so overwhelming, especially when he’s just told me that he’s picked out a ring – he’s just waiting for the right time (logistically, geographically, emotionally, and financially) to buy it. That’s part of what started all this engagement anxiety, but this latest bout of word vomit is much more high-energy than the calm, measured conversation we had last night about my general fears.

Let me explain: right before picking him up this afternoon, I went to a consignment boutique in Berkeley* and let go of my wedding dress – hopefully for the last time.

I thought it would be no big deal – I’ve been planning to sell the dress for weeks now, had ads up in various parts of the internet…but then, walking down Fourth Street, past alfresco diners and families with little kids, feeling their eyes on the white garment bag in my arms and imagining their gaze burning on my empty left ring finger, the low, heavy feeling of dull sadness in my belly welled up and grew into anxiety in my chest. And then standing in the showroom with all those beautiful dresses, discussing the terms of the agreement with the owner of the store and cheerfully pointing out my favorite details of the dress (those pockets, that tuxedo pleat!) my heart was conflicted between a feeling of excitement – about dresses (I only just started watching Say Yes to the Dress again!) and my boyfriend and moving forward into a new future – and deep sadness/disconnect – can I really do this again? Is it ruined for me forever? Do I even want it or do I insist on it to prove something to myself or the world? Or do I only think I don't want it because it hurts so much to think about putting myself in that vulnerable position – announcing to the world how much I love and trust my partner –risking humiliation and devastation all over again?

As I told my therapist when we talked about the ring development: the joy and terror are both so intense as to essentially cancel each other out and leave numbness in their place. And oddly, when I think about being married to my boyfriend, I only feel good things – maybe a halo of fear that it'll end in heartbreak, but mostly calm happiness. But when I even begin to think about being engaged, and especially planning a wedding, my heart races and my breath goes shallow and fast and it's hard for me to think straight through the fear.

We’re in a major state of change right now: at the end of the summer we’re moving to Washington State, which is very exciting but also sad and scary; for a while now we’ve been talking about marriage and kids and buying property in a way that makes it all feel simultaneously far-off and immediate; we’re both trying to get into new careers and support each other through a lot of family upheaval and drama. In all this, I never really paused to think about how it might feel to get engaged…again. I’ve been clear from the outset that I want to get married and have kids; it was my boyfriend who needed more time to get on board. But he’s on board now, and while I think he bears the usual fears that any person might deal with, I don’t think he can possibly understand (however hard he tries) the panic that overtakes me when I think about trying it again.

I think it’s because the engagement was really where the cracks started showing with my ex; of course now, with hindsight, it’s clear that he’d begun to stray emotionally long before the proposal, but for me it really started there. And so I was planning the wedding and telling the proposal story (only when asked – I’m not a monster) and, Jesus, buying a dress between floods of tears – all fueled by faith that we would get through this thing that was happening between us. But we didn’t. We couldn’t. And I couldn’t see that until it was nearly too late (I suppose ‘too late’ would mean I married him).

And for all that my current boyfriend is completely different from my ex, much more communicative and self-aware, it’s hard to think about mustering that same faith again. I feel a bit like I lost that particular religion, and I don’t know how to get it back.

I just hope my therapist can help me process and exorcise this fear, so I can get engaged to the man I love and find happiness in a family of my own. And hey, if she can’t, maybe we’ll just skip the whole engagement thing and elope!**



* The dress is at Emerald City Gowns, should any Bay Area locals with excellent taste want to try it on and maybe buy it ;)

** I really don’t want to do that; I deserve a wedding, god damn it. But I have got to kick this terror before that can happen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do fat women have it worse than fat men?

I've always said that being fat is harder on women than it is on men.  Not only is there a lot more societal pressure to be stick thin rather than just healthy, which men don't seem to get, but it's a lot harder to be seen as physically attractive if you're even ten or fifteen pounds overweight. Anyway, it seems I'm not the only one thinking these things.  There's an article in the NYTimes today about overweight and obese women doing worse than men financially, an interesting angle on the effects of obesity, and in it they say: Why doesn’t body size affect men’s attainment as much as women’s? One explanation is that overweight girls are more stigmatized and isolated in high school compared with overweight boys. Other studies have shown that body size is one of the primary ways Americans judge female — but not male — attractiveness. We also know that the social stigma associated with obesity is strongest during adolescence. So perhaps teachers and pee

Hitting bottom.

“Well, maybe that’s not such a bad thing,” my mother says when I tell her I can’t eat and I’m losing weight as a result of my most recent heartbreak, “maybe when all this is over you’ll look in the mirror and –” I have just enough strength left in me to stop her before she completely echoes the voice in the back of my head, the one that’s been telling me that not eating for days, while it might fuck up my metabolism in the long run, might also make me more attractive to potential new men in the short term. But I don’t want to be attractive to new men – never mind the nagging fear that it's impossible.   I just want my man to come back and erase everything he’s done to me in the past nine months.   I want to wake up tomorrow and have this all be a bad dream – the cheating, the lies, the images in my mind of him holding that conniving, revolting, vile girl in our bed, the searing pain in my heart that keeps me awake nights – and I want to roll over and playf

Can technology help me Lose It, or will I get lost in the numbers?

A few weeks ago I downloaded a new app for my iPhone called Lose It. It’s a calorie counter, but it also incorporates exercise, and the best part is that it’s pretty non-judgmental, as these things go. It lets you choose your own goal, and how fast you want to lost the weight, and then it just calculates the numbers for you. For example, I told it my current weight (I don’t want to talk about it) and that I wanted to lose thirty pounds (yes, hopelessly idealistic) in six months (hey, you gotta have some realism). And it told me my calorie allowance was roughly 2,100 per day. Way higher than I expected! Which is the other thing about this app: it makes me feel good about my eating habits! I have it tracking my nutrients as well, and besides the fact that I eat about twice as much sodium as I’m supposed to (yeah, yeah, whatever. Salt is gooooood), I’m pretty on-target with everything else. And I’ve been coming in under my calorie count pretty much every day. Even Easter! And I