Skip to main content

Once upon a time, in a city far far away, I made a huge mistake...

The minute I clicked ‘Enter’ I knew I’d done something incredibly stupid.  How could I have been taken in by an Instagram ad, for anything, let alone diet pills?  I felt disgusted with myself, even as the disgust mingled with an unmistakable tinge of excitement and curiosity – surely after more than twenty-five years of experience with diet culture bullshit, and at least a decade of continuous counter-culture reprogramming, I must know better?  But, well...knowing better didn’t stop me.  I figured five bucks was a cheap price for a very unlikely potential payoff.

I went to lie down on our hotel bed with my boyfriend, who was zoned out in front of his own phone, half-listening to an episode of The Simpsons and trying to digest all the rich food we’d been eating on our trip to New Orleans.  I didn’t want to admit what I’d done; I knew he would be disappointed in me, and frustrated with my continued negative body image.  We’ve discussed it a hundred times, and while he does understand logically that there’s nothing logical about my body issues, that doesn’t stop him from feeling defensive of me against myself.  He is supportive about my attempt to be healthier – he’s been a great help with my 2017 yoga-every-damn-day plan, and he’s always happy to cook more veggies and fish and other healthy foods – but anything that even begins to look like a diet shuts him right down.  When I made a weak effort to go Paleo in November (first of all, awful timing, Past Anne) he rolled his eyes and made the -_- face a lot, but he did come around eventually – just in time for me to decide it wasn’t for me (I was, yet again, gaining weight and feeling worse about myself).

He’s right about one thing: I am shockingly susceptible to obsession.  Right before the Paleo thing, in a fit of insanity, I had tried calorie counting.  I lasted like three days before I remembered all the reasons I’d given it up before – those reasons still stand, and I will hopefully remember that next time I even flirt with the notion of counting.  I thought a sort of ‘lifestyle change’ like going Paleo might help me think (read: obsess) less about individual food choices but it just changed the subject of my obsession from numbers to ingredients – by the way, Paleo shit is expensive.  No wonder it’s mostly rich white ladies who are into that diet.

Anyway, the point of all of this back story is twofold: 1) I want to be honest here about my struggles – losing a ton of weight didn’t make me happy with my body, and working to radically accept my body didn’t make me immune from the sometimes very intense desire to lose weight.  I know better than most how irrelevant weight is to real life, love, and happiness, yet I’m still vulnerable.  I still have months where my body is bigger or heavier than its norm and that still has the power to make me cry and rage and count calories…and even, in particularly weak moments, to order a ‘free trial’ of a supplement that I know is bullshit.  Which brings me to: 2) I needed you to understand my state of mind when I made this incredibly bad decision, because it gets worse.

I did tell my boyfriend what I’d done, after he agreed not to torture me about it if I told him (his face as he realized exactly what he’d agreed to was priceless), and all he said was “well, we all make stupid choices sometimes – I’m just glad you realize that it was a stupid choice.  And make sure you follow up so they don’t charge you for the next bottle.”  Oh.  Shit.  I hadn’t even considered the possibility that I might be on the hook for some scam subscription!  I lied and said of course I was planning to follow up, and we spoke of it no more for the rest of our trip. 

When we got home, I found my shipment notification in my junk email – two of them, since the sign-up had also automatically signed me up for a second trial – and googled the company name (Supreme Garcinia/Fit Garcinia).  Well, shit, again: there were stories all over the internet of people being charged hundreds of dollars, having to submit fraud claims to their credit cards, spending hours on hold trying to get someone to cancel their subscriptions…I was furious with myself.

I was also lucky; I’d caught on early enough that the only charges to go through had been the shipping fees ($5.99 for each of the two bottles).  I froze my credit card and called the company – they tried to tell me that in order to cancel I needed to ship the bottles back at my own expense and pay a restocking fee of $9.99 for each bottle, and they persisted when I told them that sounded shady and borderline illegal (knowing full well that I had clicked ‘accept’ without reading the fine print, like the idiot I was in that moment), but when I said “okay, so what if I just cancel my credit card before you guys can charge me?” the woman on the phone went to talk to a manager and came back saying that they would “waive the fee this one time.”   I received emails confirming both cancellations, unfroze my credit card, and will hopefully be able to put this behind me and never make this mistake again.

But yesterday, after it was all cleared up, I turned to my boyfriend and thanked him sincerely for mentioning the subscription.  I told him I actually hadn’t thought of it, and I would almost certainly have gone past the 14-day deadline and been charged before I fixed it.  I also told him, having only just realized it myself, that I understood why I hadn’t considered the financial consequences of my mistake: I had been so mired in shame about buying into the idea of diet pills, even for a second, that I couldn’t see past that to even think about any other element.  What mattered the most to me was that I’d betrayed myself – my intellect, my self-worth, and my constant struggle to simply accept my body for what it is – money didn’t even cross my mind.  But, as I said to my boyfriend, I can ill afford $175 mistake right now, so I was glad that it crossed his.

So, friends, the fight to accept myself continues – luckily, so does the yoga, and the body-positive community, and the support from the people who love me.  It’s not all bad, but it is pretty embarrassing, and it makes a good cautionary tale (as well as one that will hopefully help others who’ve made the same mistake feel less alone in their error), so I felt the need to share it here. 

Don’t be like me, but if you do, make sure you threaten those shady motherfuckers with everything you can, including reporting them to the BBB ;)

Comments

Dewey said…
Negative body image is a problem I have had to deal with my whole life. My weight bounces up and down like a basketball during the playoffs. I never tried diet pills. There is too much bad publicity out there, and I am not a brave man. They say that only women care about stuff like that, but it isn't true.

Dewey @ TMSofPA
Anne said…
Hi Dewey,
I recommend continuing to avoid diet pills! They're almost always proven to be a racket. And I hear you about our society mostly acknowledging women's body image issues and ignoring men's, but you're absolutely right that it's a widespread problem. I hope you find some peace soon – check out the body positive community on Instagram. They've done wonders for me :)
Cheers,
Anne

Popular posts from this blog

Do fat women have it worse than fat men?

I've always said that being fat is harder on women than it is on men.  Not only is there a lot more societal pressure to be stick thin rather than just healthy, which men don't seem to get, but it's a lot harder to be seen as physically attractive if you're even ten or fifteen pounds overweight. Anyway, it seems I'm not the only one thinking these things.  There's an article in the NYTimes today about overweight and obese women doing worse than men financially, an interesting angle on the effects of obesity, and in it they say: Why doesn’t body size affect men’s attainment as much as women’s? One explanation is that overweight girls are more stigmatized and isolated in high school compared with overweight boys. Other studies have shown that body size is one of the primary ways Americans judge female — but not male — attractiveness. We also know that the social stigma associated with obesity is strongest during adolescence. So perhaps teachers and pee

Can technology help me Lose It, or will I get lost in the numbers?

A few weeks ago I downloaded a new app for my iPhone called Lose It. It’s a calorie counter, but it also incorporates exercise, and the best part is that it’s pretty non-judgmental, as these things go. It lets you choose your own goal, and how fast you want to lost the weight, and then it just calculates the numbers for you. For example, I told it my current weight (I don’t want to talk about it) and that I wanted to lose thirty pounds (yes, hopelessly idealistic) in six months (hey, you gotta have some realism). And it told me my calorie allowance was roughly 2,100 per day. Way higher than I expected! Which is the other thing about this app: it makes me feel good about my eating habits! I have it tracking my nutrients as well, and besides the fact that I eat about twice as much sodium as I’m supposed to (yeah, yeah, whatever. Salt is gooooood), I’m pretty on-target with everything else. And I’ve been coming in under my calorie count pretty much every day. Even Easter! And I

Hitting bottom.

“Well, maybe that’s not such a bad thing,” my mother says when I tell her I can’t eat and I’m losing weight as a result of my most recent heartbreak, “maybe when all this is over you’ll look in the mirror and –” I have just enough strength left in me to stop her before she completely echoes the voice in the back of my head, the one that’s been telling me that not eating for days, while it might fuck up my metabolism in the long run, might also make me more attractive to potential new men in the short term. But I don’t want to be attractive to new men – never mind the nagging fear that it's impossible.   I just want my man to come back and erase everything he’s done to me in the past nine months.   I want to wake up tomorrow and have this all be a bad dream – the cheating, the lies, the images in my mind of him holding that conniving, revolting, vile girl in our bed, the searing pain in my heart that keeps me awake nights – and I want to roll over and playf