Skip to main content

"But I Can't GET Any Balance" – Weighing the pros and cons of 'control' vs 'balance'

When I told my brother I was counting calories, a vulnerable admission of defeat, he reacted just as I should have expected: he rolled his eyes, sighed as if he was exhausted by my weight struggles, and told me “don’t be mom!  Just be balanced.”  As if it were that easy.  I made the mistake, at first, of trying to explain that after years of balance and reasonably steady weight, I was no longer stable and I felt the need to do something drastic to try to reign in my body; I gave up pretty quickly, after multiple interruptions and dismissals.

It’s not that my brother is insensitive – he’s actually more sensitive than most dudes and most of my family, not that that’s saying much – but he doesn’t have a lot of patience for any kind of struggle to which he doesn’t relate.  Worse are the struggles he thinks he relates to, like weight.  A few years ago he felt he was getting ‘tubby’ and so he cut out junk food and cut back on carbs and started doing pull-ups in the doorway of his apartment living room, and within a month he was almost back to his ectomorph self.  Both his girlfriend (who is slim but also human) and I swallowed our irritation and replaced it with teasing about his new ‘Paleo’ lifestyle (he was never Paleo but my mom thought he was, and told everyone he was, and his indignation never got old.  I still laugh every time he eats something accidentally-Paleo).  The point of this story being: he doesn’t really know what it’s like to feel like you have no control over the size or weight or fat content of your body, which has been, obviously, a source of continuous angst in my life.

My brother wasn’t the only one to react negatively to the news of my renewed dedication to counting calories, though – his girlfriend, a good friend of mine, expressed concern that it wouldn’t work; my boyfriend worried that I would become obsessive and miserable; I shared both of their concerns, but I didn’t know what else to do.  I had been feeling increasingly desperate for any control over my subtly but steadily increasing size, and this seemed like a sensible last resort.  

So I started, four days ago, and almost immediately all my fears came true.  Within an hour of re-downloading the app I used last time I counted, I was talking to my boyfriend about how many calories were in the different kinds of dim sum we were eating – I had promised only to track, not to restrict, at least for the first couple of days, but even by tracking I was instinctively stressing over every bite.  I also found myself experiencing the same exact problem as last time, namely that in worrying more about calories than overall health I made objectively poor choices, going for a fun-sized box of Milk Duds over a piece of cheese because the former has half the calories (if none of the nutrition), for example.  Still, I told myself I would stick with it for at least a month, and maybe once I had some control back I could revert to my former, balanced lifestyle.

Well, reader, I made it four days.  This morning, as I was walking to the post office to drop off an online shopping return (exchanging the items for a size up), I found myself obsessing yet again over how many calories I had left in the day and lamenting that fact that it was only 12:30.  And that’s a large part of the problem, for me, with calorie counting: I become fixated on food, which makes me feel hungry and unsatisfied all the time and makes me will the days to go by faster, and ain’t nobody got time for that!

So I sent my boyfriend a text, partly to soothe his increasing concerns and partly to hold myself accountable for the decision I had just made: “I think calorie counting is going to drive me (and you) bonkers, and lord knows I don't need more of that in my life (and neither do you). So instead I'm going to work harder to make better choices, graze less often/more healthily/more mindfully, and move my body more consistently, even if that just means walking for twenty minutes or doing ab work at home every evening. To that end, I'm walking instead of driving to the post office now and deleting my calorie counting app right now.”  He was, understandably, thrilled, and vowed to help me and support me in any way he could.  And I smiled and went to delete the app…but instead I logged the calories for a snack I planned to eat when I got home and then put my phone back in my pocket.

Later, as I sat in a coffee shop waiting for my tutoring appointment, I continued to obsess over my predicament, googling low-carb ‘beginner steps’ and reading blog posts from the very app I had neglected to delete.  One such post suggested that weighing yourself every day had been proven to be an effective weight loss tool – this ran contrary to my perception that all weighing myself every day did for me was make my heart sink and my brain whir with unhealthy fixation on numbers, but I went on Amazon and started looking at scales anyway.  Then my boyfriend checked in from work, and I admitted what I was doing.  His response was “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO” and my reply was “Really?  That bad?”  He insisted it was and I tried to explain: “Apparently not weighing yourself regularly after a large weight loss is consistent with regain. I know!  I hate it.  But I'm trying to pick and choose bits of wisdom from different 'health' and weight loss camps.”

The way I see it, weight loss is like spiritualism: you take the bits you like from each religion or perspective, and you discard the rest.  No one idea is wholly good or bad, right?  But his view was that weighing myself every day was “a big step back from dropping calorie counting,” and I couldn’t deny that it seemed I was trading one number for another.  I wrote back, reluctantly: “I know.  It's just so hard because the numbers game is so mentally unhealthy but it's also pushed by so many 'experts' as the way to gain a modicum of control. And I'm about to ban all Muslims, that's how desperately out of control I feel.” His reply was: “Oh, hon. It's like snow driving. One move at a time. Too much control and you will crash into the place you were trying to avoid.”

He was right.  And just like the advocates of a Muslim ban in my rapidly deteriorating country, I needed to take a step back and stop trying to tighten my fist around the thistle to stop it from hurting me.  So I did.  I deleted the app, and closed the scale-buying tab on my laptop (but kept open the ones with low-carb recipe ideas because I do think more mindfulness about what I eat will be a good thing), and I booked myself for two yoga classes later this week.  That’s not enough exercise to help me with my body, and I’m still struggling to find a yoga studio whose class type, schedule, and location all fit my needs, but it’s a start.  I’ll find something else to fill in the gaps – maybe I’ll go back to Tae-Bo or take up power-walking around Oakland.

Whatever I do, though, I’m going to try to keep the focus on how I feel.  Yes, I’d like my clothes to fit better, and I think eventually they will, but more importantly I need to clear my mind of all this body-obsession clutter.  I have enough to worry about, with my ever-increasing family bullshit and my ever-deepening romantic relationship and my refocused career…oh yeah, and this book I’m trying to finish.  All those things have been distracting me from my body and stressing me out, which is partly how I got into this situation, but they’ve also got to take priority over petty numbers games.  Mindfulness, as airy-fairy as it sounds, has helped me in so many areas of my life – I can only hope it’ll help in this one too.  Well, that and drinking a lot less wine, which I think will be manageable as long as I stay well away from my family ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do fat women have it worse than fat men?

I've always said that being fat is harder on women than it is on men.  Not only is there a lot more societal pressure to be stick thin rather than just healthy, which men don't seem to get, but it's a lot harder to be seen as physically attractive if you're even ten or fifteen pounds overweight. Anyway, it seems I'm not the only one thinking these things.  There's an article in the NYTimes today about overweight and obese women doing worse than men financially, an interesting angle on the effects of obesity, and in it they say: Why doesn’t body size affect men’s attainment as much as women’s? One explanation is that overweight girls are more stigmatized and isolated in high school compared with overweight boys. Other studies have shown that body size is one of the primary ways Americans judge female — but not male — attractiveness. We also know that the social stigma associated with obesity is strongest during adolescence. So perhaps teachers and pee

Can technology help me Lose It, or will I get lost in the numbers?

A few weeks ago I downloaded a new app for my iPhone called Lose It. It’s a calorie counter, but it also incorporates exercise, and the best part is that it’s pretty non-judgmental, as these things go. It lets you choose your own goal, and how fast you want to lost the weight, and then it just calculates the numbers for you. For example, I told it my current weight (I don’t want to talk about it) and that I wanted to lose thirty pounds (yes, hopelessly idealistic) in six months (hey, you gotta have some realism). And it told me my calorie allowance was roughly 2,100 per day. Way higher than I expected! Which is the other thing about this app: it makes me feel good about my eating habits! I have it tracking my nutrients as well, and besides the fact that I eat about twice as much sodium as I’m supposed to (yeah, yeah, whatever. Salt is gooooood), I’m pretty on-target with everything else. And I’ve been coming in under my calorie count pretty much every day. Even Easter! And I

Hitting bottom.

“Well, maybe that’s not such a bad thing,” my mother says when I tell her I can’t eat and I’m losing weight as a result of my most recent heartbreak, “maybe when all this is over you’ll look in the mirror and –” I have just enough strength left in me to stop her before she completely echoes the voice in the back of my head, the one that’s been telling me that not eating for days, while it might fuck up my metabolism in the long run, might also make me more attractive to potential new men in the short term. But I don’t want to be attractive to new men – never mind the nagging fear that it's impossible.   I just want my man to come back and erase everything he’s done to me in the past nine months.   I want to wake up tomorrow and have this all be a bad dream – the cheating, the lies, the images in my mind of him holding that conniving, revolting, vile girl in our bed, the searing pain in my heart that keeps me awake nights – and I want to roll over and playf