Skip to main content

How does a person who is vehemently anti-diet go about losing weight?


Between cheap dinners out with the new boo, a very stressful and time-consuming new job (and the thousands of Goldfish consumed weekly to keep me on my feet), and all the yoga-defying illnesses my little petri dishes have passed me on their homework assignments in the past nine months, I’ve noticed that my clothes have been getting tighter.  Like, a lot tighter.  As in, I find myself wincing as I take off particularly unforgiving dresses at the end of the day – dresses which, nine months ago, fit just fine, or were even a bit baggy at the waist.  And now I’m faced with a dilemma I haven’t faced in years: how to lose bulk, if not necessarily weight.
 
If you’ve been reading this blog (or known me personally) for the few years, you know that I am majorly anti-dieting.  And if you’ve known me for the past decade, you might recall that the last time I succumbed to societal pressure and tried to lose weight, through a strict-but-realistic calorie limit and exercise plan, I gained weight, then lost that, then lost three more pounds, then plateaued for the rest of the year.  I was stronger, and more toned, but my weight remained pretty much the same.  And the really bad news was that I drove myself (and my boyfriend at the time) bonkers with my constant obsession over what I was eating.  So after that little experiment I vowed that I’d proven to myself (and in theory anyone else who gave a damn) that my weight was insistent upon staying within the same 20-pound range and if that was the case I needed to stop worrying at all about calories and focus all my energy on balanced nutrition and an active lifestyle.  And I did that, and for the most part it worked; I was heavier or lighter depending on the month, but overall I was the same size (12) for years.


And then, almost exactly three years ago, my life imploded, and I stopped eating and stopped moving and lost 25 pounds and dropped to a biggish 10/very small 12.  I looked great – incessant tears and suicidal thoughts are a much better diet plan than Jenny Craig – but I felt awful.  That weight stayed off for around a year, while I dated and found yoga but still cried every morning when I woke to the same life I’d been blissfully allowed to forget in sleep.  And then, slowly, I began to recover.  And as I recovered, I put the weight back on, also slowly.  By the time I met my current boyfriend last January I was back to my normal weight and a solid, healthy size 12 again.


But then.  All the things I mentioned in paragraph one – the thai food, the cuddles, the teaching, the stress, the lack of time for regular yoga, the lack of time or energy for cooking healthy meals – it all caught up with me.  And now I’m struggling to feel good about how I look in the mirror, missing my erstwhile-flat belly, and beginning to worry about fitting into the same clothes I’ve been wearing for years with little issue.  And the new boo and I are going to Europe for over a month this summer and I would like to wear my denim shorts, thankyouverymuch, but as things stand they are very uncomfortable (although they still button, thank god).


So what do I do?  I’ve been making a concerted effort to get to yoga at least once a week, but that’s not enough and I can’t fit in more with my job the way it is.  I’ve bought a fancy/pretty fitness tracker, but with my job way out in suburbia hell I rarely get an opportunity to walk for more than five minutes at a time (although I do often stand while lecturing rotten children on proper behavior).  I’m trying to eat fewer carbs and less processed food, but Goldfish and chocolate are still the only things that get me through most school days.  I could go on a diet, but I HATE DIETS.  I hate being on them and I hate being around people who are on them.  They are a fucking BUMMER and they don’t even work for me.

So.  I am at an impasse with myself.  The truth is I don’t even have the bandwidth to think about this very much, with work as consuming as it is – writing this post is the most I’ve thought about it at once all year – let alone to find a solution.  For now, I guess I’ll just keep trying my best given the circumstances, and thank my lucky stars that (for the second time in my life) I have a partner who looks at me with cartoon hearts in his eyes no matter where I fall on my own personal weight spectrum.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do fat women have it worse than fat men?

I've always said that being fat is harder on women than it is on men.  Not only is there a lot more societal pressure to be stick thin rather than just healthy, which men don't seem to get, but it's a lot harder to be seen as physically attractive if you're even ten or fifteen pounds overweight. Anyway, it seems I'm not the only one thinking these things.  There's an article in the NYTimes today about overweight and obese women doing worse than men financially, an interesting angle on the effects of obesity, and in it they say: Why doesn’t body size affect men’s attainment as much as women’s? One explanation is that overweight girls are more stigmatized and isolated in high school compared with overweight boys. Other studies have shown that body size is one of the primary ways Americans judge female — but not male — attractiveness. We also know that the social stigma associated with obesity is strongest during adolescence. So perhaps teachers and pee

Hitting bottom.

“Well, maybe that’s not such a bad thing,” my mother says when I tell her I can’t eat and I’m losing weight as a result of my most recent heartbreak, “maybe when all this is over you’ll look in the mirror and –” I have just enough strength left in me to stop her before she completely echoes the voice in the back of my head, the one that’s been telling me that not eating for days, while it might fuck up my metabolism in the long run, might also make me more attractive to potential new men in the short term. But I don’t want to be attractive to new men – never mind the nagging fear that it's impossible.   I just want my man to come back and erase everything he’s done to me in the past nine months.   I want to wake up tomorrow and have this all be a bad dream – the cheating, the lies, the images in my mind of him holding that conniving, revolting, vile girl in our bed, the searing pain in my heart that keeps me awake nights – and I want to roll over and playf

Can technology help me Lose It, or will I get lost in the numbers?

A few weeks ago I downloaded a new app for my iPhone called Lose It. It’s a calorie counter, but it also incorporates exercise, and the best part is that it’s pretty non-judgmental, as these things go. It lets you choose your own goal, and how fast you want to lost the weight, and then it just calculates the numbers for you. For example, I told it my current weight (I don’t want to talk about it) and that I wanted to lose thirty pounds (yes, hopelessly idealistic) in six months (hey, you gotta have some realism). And it told me my calorie allowance was roughly 2,100 per day. Way higher than I expected! Which is the other thing about this app: it makes me feel good about my eating habits! I have it tracking my nutrients as well, and besides the fact that I eat about twice as much sodium as I’m supposed to (yeah, yeah, whatever. Salt is gooooood), I’m pretty on-target with everything else. And I’ve been coming in under my calorie count pretty much every day. Even Easter! And I