Skip to main content

On the importance of the journey

“If you think I’m hard on my body now, you should have seen me ten years ago.”

My new boyfriend looks at me with his eyebrows raised, uncharacteristically disbelieving. Then he says, with a slight edge to his tone, “but I didn’t know you then. I only know you now.”

I pause for a second to try to figure out why this irritates me so much, when he brushes off my explanations of my past as if it has no bearing on the person I am now. It’s always surprising to me when he does this, partly because to me it seems obvious that my past is a huge part of my current self, and partly because he’s usually so thoughtful and understanding, and this kind of invalidating reaction is unusual for him. I take a deep breath and try to articulate my frustration.

“You have to understand that where I was then is important…it informs where I am now. And for you to say that the person you know, the particular body image issues of the woman you’re dating here and now, are all that matter…for you to say that how far I’ve come is irrelevant…it discounts all the work I’ve put in and invalidates my entire journey.” I think I’ve finally found a way to stop stumbling and put it more concisely: “It’s like saying that the progress I’ve made means nothing because I’m still not perfect.”

He pulls back from me and his eyes widen a bit. I’ve shocked him by holding up a mirror to an unfeeling perspective he didn’t even realize he was espousing. He’s the type of person who doesn’t believe in perfect; or rather, he believes in finding perfection in people’s imperfections, especially when it comes to me. From the day we met he’s made me feel supported and safe, which is part of why I’ve been so surprised and confused by his constant misunderstanding of my relationship with my body. But now I think we’ve finally cracked the communication barrier and he’s starting to get it. I keep going.

“You know how I’ve told you that when I talk a bunch of shit while I’m driving, you shouldn’t worry that I’m getting ragey – that actually it’s when I go silent that you know I’m super stressed out?”

He nods, his brow knitted now. He’s stopped pushing back and is just listening. Hard.

“That’s what I’m like about my body these days. I mean, I try not to talk as much shit about it as I did before, partly because it’s a toxic practice, not to mention it makes me a really boring person to be around, but also because I don’t feel as much hatred toward it as I once did. It’s important for you to know just how bad it was, so you can see that this current mild dissatisfaction is really super innocuous and a huge step in the right direction. I mean, I used to stand in the mirror and pull on my flesh and wish to slice chunks of it off. It was truly scary how much I hated my body. And now I think I’m okay, even attractive, but yeah, I think my boobs could be better and I wish my butt weren’t so square. And when I make jokes about those things, or my thunder thighs or anything else, that’s me letting out a bit of the poison, because if I don’t say it out loud it’ll fester inside me and become something I can focus on. Too much airing of those grievances is a really bad thing, but if I bottle them up it’s equally as bad…it’s a balance, I guess. Does that make sense?”

He nods, then shakes his head.

“That does make sense. I’m really sorry, Anne. I didn’t mean to invalidate your experience – I just worry about you. But you’re right: the progress you’ve made matters, and I want you to keep telling me about this stuff. I want to know you, and your past is part of that, even if it’s hard for me to hear about.”

He pulls me in for a hug and I feel it again: that twinge under my sternum that reminds me of falling for my ex nearly a decade ago. It’s comforting and familiar and terrifying all at once, and I’ve been trying to ignore it for weeks. But with a guy like this, someone so caring and emotionally intelligent, it’s hard to stay cagey – trust me, I tried. So I keep having conversations like the one we just had, elaborating on my emotional history and holding out my past as if showing him my insides will make me less rather than more exposed. And I am exposed, more so every time we talk, but so far he’s taking very good care of all the pieces of my heart.

Which is important, because those pieces are all I have left, and their (rather epic) journey is super relevant to who I am now.

Comments

Anonymous said…
As a complete stranger, but also a friend, Im hoping Anne that you are OK, that you are still writing? And that you have found someone new to love and who loves you. I've read your book and now your blog and hope there will be more posts : ) in new Zealand we say kia kaha, ' be strong' lots of love and blessings to you xx
Anne said…
I am okay, thank you, anonymous friend! I am also still writing, but much less often than I'd like, since I started teaching full-time this year and the job is pretty consuming. But I am working on carving out more time and focus, and your comment has reminded me of how much I've been neglecting this particular writing space, so thank you for that. Oh, and I have definitely found someone who loves me, and whom I can now say with complete confidence I'm able to love back (the same guy from this post, actually); more on that in the next post!

Thank you again. It really is such a comfort to my angsty writer's soul to get messages like this that remind me I'm not completely cut off from my reader friends xx
Anonymous said…
Im so glad that you have found someone Anne, because I felt devastated on your behalf after discovering how things ended before for you : ( teaching is indeed an all consuming job, I have taught full-time in the past and now relieve, although I'd love permanent part time work. It's also exciting to find you are a real live person who answers comments so promptly! I look forward to hearing more of your life. I hav struggled with my weight since the age of around 11, I'm now 45 and still care, but nowhere near as much : ) I would love to lose weight and need to, however I too, try and focus on keeping fit and eating healthily. I have a husband who loves me regardless which certainly helps! Can I say how surprised I was when I looked up photos of you, how very pretty and vivacious you looked, and do honestly not look overweight AT ALL! We are of course, our own worst critics. Btes wishes to you, Sheridan x
Anne said…
Hi Sheridan,

Haha I am indeed a real live person, and I do attempt to answer comments promptly, although my friends will tell you I am significantly less responsive to personal emails etc than I was when I worked in marketing ;)

I think your focus is right on target; I have the same attitude about my body. Would I like to weigh less and be smaller? Of course (although I do really appreciate your reassurance that it's not obvious I *need* to)! But is it worth tormenting myself? Absolutely not. I try to keep my efforts focused on yoga and vegetables and lean meats instead of self-hate or crash diets or dreams of plastic surgery. I'm glad your husband is in the right frame of mind too!

And thank you for the sympathy about the end of my relationship. It was absolutely devastating, and I would still erase that experience in a heartbeat, but I have learned a lot and am currently trying to write about it, and now I have a wonderful partner, so it's not all bad xx

Popular posts from this blog

Do fat women have it worse than fat men?

I've always said that being fat is harder on women than it is on men.  Not only is there a lot more societal pressure to be stick thin rather than just healthy, which men don't seem to get, but it's a lot harder to be seen as physically attractive if you're even ten or fifteen pounds overweight. Anyway, it seems I'm not the only one thinking these things.  There's an article in the NYTimes today about overweight and obese women doing worse than men financially, an interesting angle on the effects of obesity, and in it they say: Why doesn’t body size affect men’s attainment as much as women’s? One explanation is that overweight girls are more stigmatized and isolated in high school compared with overweight boys. Other studies have shown that body size is one of the primary ways Americans judge female — but not male — attractiveness. We also know that the social stigma associated with obesity is strongest during adolescence. So perhaps teachers and pee

Hitting bottom.

“Well, maybe that’s not such a bad thing,” my mother says when I tell her I can’t eat and I’m losing weight as a result of my most recent heartbreak, “maybe when all this is over you’ll look in the mirror and –” I have just enough strength left in me to stop her before she completely echoes the voice in the back of my head, the one that’s been telling me that not eating for days, while it might fuck up my metabolism in the long run, might also make me more attractive to potential new men in the short term. But I don’t want to be attractive to new men – never mind the nagging fear that it's impossible.   I just want my man to come back and erase everything he’s done to me in the past nine months.   I want to wake up tomorrow and have this all be a bad dream – the cheating, the lies, the images in my mind of him holding that conniving, revolting, vile girl in our bed, the searing pain in my heart that keeps me awake nights – and I want to roll over and playf

Can technology help me Lose It, or will I get lost in the numbers?

A few weeks ago I downloaded a new app for my iPhone called Lose It. It’s a calorie counter, but it also incorporates exercise, and the best part is that it’s pretty non-judgmental, as these things go. It lets you choose your own goal, and how fast you want to lost the weight, and then it just calculates the numbers for you. For example, I told it my current weight (I don’t want to talk about it) and that I wanted to lose thirty pounds (yes, hopelessly idealistic) in six months (hey, you gotta have some realism). And it told me my calorie allowance was roughly 2,100 per day. Way higher than I expected! Which is the other thing about this app: it makes me feel good about my eating habits! I have it tracking my nutrients as well, and besides the fact that I eat about twice as much sodium as I’m supposed to (yeah, yeah, whatever. Salt is gooooood), I’m pretty on-target with everything else. And I’ve been coming in under my calorie count pretty much every day. Even Easter! And I