Skip to main content

This is Thirty


As Jennifer Lawrence cried perfect, beautiful tears of rage onscreen, her home in ash and rubble around her, my gaze settled lower down on something inside the theater: my legs.  Tessa and I were sitting in the prime seats in the front row of the back section at the AMC, our feet propped up on the bar in front of us, and for the first time I could remember I had a moment of positive revelation; my legs are normal-sized, I thought, with so much surprise that the moment was instantly notable.

For as long as I can remember, I’ve felt abnormally large.  For much of my life, reality was at least mostly in line with this self-assessment – I was larger than average, or at least larger than any person I knew.  Later, as I got smaller, I still felt massive.  It took me years to force myself to believe that my idea of my body was out of proportion to how ‘freakish’ I actually was.  And even then, reality was often on the side of my negative perspective, proving to me with every group shopping trip or road trip backseat squeeze that while I may not have been abnormally huge anymore, I was still the largest person I knew.

My sense of my own acceptability moved downwards, starting with my face, which had been at least ‘attractive enough’ for my whole life.  Next were my arms and shoulders, which, after a hundred-pound weight loss and one plastic surgery, were small enough to fit into a size Medium and looked fine (great, even, if I was on an exercise kick).  Then my waist, which was always acceptable in proportion to my hips, became good enough on its own; even my wide hips, after years of struggle, made it into the ‘normal’ category, more an indication of my shape than my size or heft.  But the acceptance of my own normalcy stopped at my legs and refused to budge.  Until that moment in the dark movie theater, watching The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 with Tessa, when I stared at the completely normal pair of legs, clad in black skinny jeans and propped in front of me, and understood that, yes, those legs belonged to me.

I actually missed the next five minutes of the movie, so mesmerized was I by the suddenly unremarkable size of the same thighs that had been hauling me around for thirty years.  I had become so blasé about my self-image, responding to people’s concern with “it is what it is” for so long that I had finally internalized the truth of the statement.  I had convinced myself that I would likely never ‘love my body’, but that that was okay as long as I treated it well and didn’t let my personal issues with it stop me from enjoying life.  I still wore a swimsuit on vacation, still went out on dates, even had sex, and just ignored the nagging voice in the back of my head that told me I should be hiding myself away because I was too disgusting to be seen. 

A funny thing had begun to happen, though.  Since my break-up, whether because I was dating new people or because I was experiencing the emotional invincibility of having a completely shattered heart or because I was in therapy and working on my sense of self or as a result of all the yoga or simply because I was getting older – for one or more of these reasons I had begun to…sort of…like myself.  And not just my personality.  I would walk past the bathroom mirror in my undies in the middle of the night and think damn, I look good, with zero irony or caveats.  I would get ready to go out and have a dance party in my room and feel the sway of my hips and the jiggle of my ass as sexy things, rather than movements I wished away as I had always done before. 

Still, it wasn’t until a month ago, when I looked at my legs and felt a sublime lack of emotion about them, that I felt like a true transformation had taken place.  I was no longer at war with my body.  I no longer hate it, but neither do I feel the need to fake-love it in defiance of the hatred that lived in me for so long. 

I remember when I first tried yoga, years ago, from a DVD in my living room in London, and I had to stop because every time I did a downward facing dog, the view of my thigh flesh hanging from my inverted legs was too disgusting for me to either look away from or bear for the duration of the program.  Now I go through an hour and fifteen minutes of yoga without more than the odd thought about whether my belly is showing because my shirt has ridden up.  I mean, sure, if I look down at my stomach in pigeon pose I see how it hangs over the waistband of my pants and looks kind of freakish, but then I look around and see how the bellies of almost all the other women in the class, whose bodies I think are gorgeous, do the same damn thing.  And then I look away and focus on breathing through the ache in my hip.  And pigeon is literally the only pose in which I worry about a specific part of my body looking bad – every other pose is all about the whole, the breathing, and how I feel.  It’s excellent.

Again, I don’t know what the reason is (or reasons are) for this change, but I don’t really care.  If this is what people were talking about when they told me their thirties were way better than their twenties, I finally believe it.  I feel better about my body than I ever have, regardless of my weight.  I’m finally settling into this body of mine, and it’s more than a truce: I think we might actually be finally becoming friends.  Who knows, maybe true love is next, but even if it stays like this I think I’ll be happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do fat women have it worse than fat men?

I've always said that being fat is harder on women than it is on men.  Not only is there a lot more societal pressure to be stick thin rather than just healthy, which men don't seem to get, but it's a lot harder to be seen as physically attractive if you're even ten or fifteen pounds overweight. Anyway, it seems I'm not the only one thinking these things.  There's an article in the NYTimes today about overweight and obese women doing worse than men financially, an interesting angle on the effects of obesity, and in it they say: Why doesn’t body size affect men’s attainment as much as women’s? One explanation is that overweight girls are more stigmatized and isolated in high school compared with overweight boys. Other studies have shown that body size is one of the primary ways Americans judge female — but not male — attractiveness. We also know that the social stigma associated with obesity is strongest during adolescence. So perhaps teachers and pee

Can technology help me Lose It, or will I get lost in the numbers?

A few weeks ago I downloaded a new app for my iPhone called Lose It. It’s a calorie counter, but it also incorporates exercise, and the best part is that it’s pretty non-judgmental, as these things go. It lets you choose your own goal, and how fast you want to lost the weight, and then it just calculates the numbers for you. For example, I told it my current weight (I don’t want to talk about it) and that I wanted to lose thirty pounds (yes, hopelessly idealistic) in six months (hey, you gotta have some realism). And it told me my calorie allowance was roughly 2,100 per day. Way higher than I expected! Which is the other thing about this app: it makes me feel good about my eating habits! I have it tracking my nutrients as well, and besides the fact that I eat about twice as much sodium as I’m supposed to (yeah, yeah, whatever. Salt is gooooood), I’m pretty on-target with everything else. And I’ve been coming in under my calorie count pretty much every day. Even Easter! And I

Hitting bottom.

“Well, maybe that’s not such a bad thing,” my mother says when I tell her I can’t eat and I’m losing weight as a result of my most recent heartbreak, “maybe when all this is over you’ll look in the mirror and –” I have just enough strength left in me to stop her before she completely echoes the voice in the back of my head, the one that’s been telling me that not eating for days, while it might fuck up my metabolism in the long run, might also make me more attractive to potential new men in the short term. But I don’t want to be attractive to new men – never mind the nagging fear that it's impossible.   I just want my man to come back and erase everything he’s done to me in the past nine months.   I want to wake up tomorrow and have this all be a bad dream – the cheating, the lies, the images in my mind of him holding that conniving, revolting, vile girl in our bed, the searing pain in my heart that keeps me awake nights – and I want to roll over and playf