Skip to main content

Almost-iversary

-->
A year ago today, I was supposed to get married to the man I’d loved for seven years.  I was never one of those little girls who dreamed of her wedding day – in fact, it wasn’t until we hit a visa dead end and realized marriage was the best way out that I even let myself believe in the idea of ‘I do’.

I grew up with a solid feeling that I would probably wind up married with kids because most people do.  I never allowed myself to dream of a Prince Charming, a love of my life, because I was deeply afraid that if I could find someone to love that much, he would never love me back.  In fact, I wasn’t even sure someone I didn’t love that much would ever love me back.  The best I could allow myself to hope for was to meet someone I liked, who liked me as well, and who would overlook my physical appearance (which I considered to be my biggest flaw) and agree to spend his adult life with me.  We would be content, if not googly-eyed in love.  Wedding dreams don’t really work with the vision of my future that I allowed myself, so I simply didn’t have them.

Then I met my ex.  He swept me off my feet by simply adoring me from the start – I was so accustomed to the narrative in my own mind that his intensity actually put me off a bit.  I figured it had to be a cruel trick; no handsome young man could ever really be that interested in me.  For years I held a small piece of myself back, brushing him off when he spoke of marriage, joking that he would ‘wake up’ one day and realize what he’d signed himself up for, claiming to break out in hives because I was afraid of commitment.  But I wasn’t afraid of the commitment – after all, I moved across the world to be with him, twice.  I was afraid of the potential inconsistency of his commitment, afraid that for all his outspoken passion and certainty he really would wake up one morning and see me for what I was: ugly, fat, older, just not good enough for the rest of his life.

Around the five-year point, though, I started to mellow out.  I figured if he was going to suddenly realize his mistake he would have done it when I was an unemployed mess, or when I was carrying 20 extra pounds and counting every calorie out loud, or when we had to be long distance again and he was surrounded by girls his own age whom he saw every day.  Once all those things had passed, and we were living together happily, and I was publishing a book and working in a literary field and looking pretty good and had conquered a lot of my neuroses – I figured if the obvious flaws in my body and personality hadn’t made him run yet, and things were so much better, objectively, then maybe I could start to relax into a semblance of security.  Maybe we really were that good together, really could make it in the long term.

During our sixth year together, he made a new friend, and suddenly there was a new threat to our happiness.  Of all the girls he’d had as friends throughout our relationship (and there were a lot), this was the only one who'd ever made me feel nervous.  Something about her seemed disingenuous.  Calculating.  I told myself (and he agreed) that I was being silly.  He still fawned over me, still talked eagerly about marriage and kids and growing old together.  I told myself that jealousy was unbecoming, and worked hard to be ‘the cool girlfriend’, never asking him to stop talking to her, except once, on Valentine’s Day, when I asked him to turn off his phone – the minute he turned it back on, he was texting her, and he lied to me when I asked who he was talking to.  That first lie was the beginning of the end.

For the life of me, I still can’t understand why he did it.  That is, I can come up with a lot of oversimplified reasons: he’s a shitty person and an idiot, he’s devoid of empathy, he was stressed and she made him feel special, he was lonely and she showed up at his door, he was horny and she had condoms in hand… the list goes on and it raises my blood pressure as I write it down, so let’s stop there.  The bottom line is that I do believe she was predatory, and I do believe he wouldn’t have cheated if she hadn’t been part of his life.  However, I also know for certain that the cheating, the lies, the torture, and the way he destroyed every last inch of my life – all of those things were his choices alone, and after a year and a half I don’t think even he understands those choices.  I certainly don’t. 

What I do know is that sometimes I wish for the old narrative, to accept calmly the idea that I will meet someone good enough, and he will also think I am good enough, and we will live a good enough life together.  The majority of the pain my ex put me through is, I think, down to how hard he worked to get me to believe – in him, in passionate love, in trusting the same person for the rest of my life.  If only he hadn’t succeeded, if I’d just stayed cynical, I would never have been so destroyed by what he did.

But I was.  And now I’m doing my best to rebuild, and every day I’m uncertain which material to use: do I build up a hard, cynical shell and resolve never to let anyone dismantle it in future, thus ensuring that I never hurt in such an inside-out, howling animal kind of way ever again?  Or do I hold on as tightly as I can to that scrap of vulnerability that wasn’t eviscerated in the crisis, and allow myself to hope that the next person I love will nurture it instead of seeing it as a target? 

I don’t know the answer.  Right now I’m using whatever scraps I can find to build a makeshift emotional shelter.  I guess I’ll decide about the strength of the walls once I’ve figured out how to keep the rain out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do fat women have it worse than fat men?

I've always said that being fat is harder on women than it is on men.  Not only is there a lot more societal pressure to be stick thin rather than just healthy, which men don't seem to get, but it's a lot harder to be seen as physically attractive if you're even ten or fifteen pounds overweight. Anyway, it seems I'm not the only one thinking these things.  There's an article in the NYTimes today about overweight and obese women doing worse than men financially, an interesting angle on the effects of obesity, and in it they say: Why doesn’t body size affect men’s attainment as much as women’s? One explanation is that overweight girls are more stigmatized and isolated in high school compared with overweight boys. Other studies have shown that body size is one of the primary ways Americans judge female — but not male — attractiveness. We also know that the social stigma associated with obesity is strongest during adolescence. So perhaps teachers and pee

Can technology help me Lose It, or will I get lost in the numbers?

A few weeks ago I downloaded a new app for my iPhone called Lose It. It’s a calorie counter, but it also incorporates exercise, and the best part is that it’s pretty non-judgmental, as these things go. It lets you choose your own goal, and how fast you want to lost the weight, and then it just calculates the numbers for you. For example, I told it my current weight (I don’t want to talk about it) and that I wanted to lose thirty pounds (yes, hopelessly idealistic) in six months (hey, you gotta have some realism). And it told me my calorie allowance was roughly 2,100 per day. Way higher than I expected! Which is the other thing about this app: it makes me feel good about my eating habits! I have it tracking my nutrients as well, and besides the fact that I eat about twice as much sodium as I’m supposed to (yeah, yeah, whatever. Salt is gooooood), I’m pretty on-target with everything else. And I’ve been coming in under my calorie count pretty much every day. Even Easter! And I

Hitting bottom.

“Well, maybe that’s not such a bad thing,” my mother says when I tell her I can’t eat and I’m losing weight as a result of my most recent heartbreak, “maybe when all this is over you’ll look in the mirror and –” I have just enough strength left in me to stop her before she completely echoes the voice in the back of my head, the one that’s been telling me that not eating for days, while it might fuck up my metabolism in the long run, might also make me more attractive to potential new men in the short term. But I don’t want to be attractive to new men – never mind the nagging fear that it's impossible.   I just want my man to come back and erase everything he’s done to me in the past nine months.   I want to wake up tomorrow and have this all be a bad dream – the cheating, the lies, the images in my mind of him holding that conniving, revolting, vile girl in our bed, the searing pain in my heart that keeps me awake nights – and I want to roll over and playf