Skip to main content

I’m in repair – I’m not together, but I’m getting there


Have you ever been through something so traumatic that when you look back on it from a healthier space you almost can’t believe you survived it?  That’s how I feel when I re-read the blog posts I wrote during the end of my engagement; I can see how fine that last thread I was hanging from was, and how close I came to it snapping every single day.  I can still remember, on a visceral level, just how painful simply existing was, and I’m genuinely shocked I didn’t self-harm or try to end myself.

These days, as I creep up on a date which, in a parallel universe, is my eighth anniversary with the best man I’ve ever known, and which is now just another April day on which I don’t even know who I agreed to marry a year ago – these days I’m mostly better.  I’m currently experiencing a pretty tough downswing in mood, brought on by an ill-advised trip to Mexico with one of the more intimately loved-up couples I know, so it’s not all rainbows and moonbeams, but I’m managing so much better than I was in those first months.  Even in my darkest moments, I take pride in how far I’ve come; I’m still so so sad and angry and hurt and lonely, and I still feel like half of me is missing, but I’m starting to believe I’ll get through this trauma, and I can even appreciate a few of the changes it's made to my character.  I’m tougher and more skeptical, but I also feel more grown up, and for once it doesn’t feel like a facade.

When my ex broke my heart, a dear friend’s awesome girlfriend, who I barely knew, reached out with the kind of wisdom that floors me from anyone and makes me feel almost ashamed when I’m older than the source (she is a year younger than I am, and so much smarter).  She said some phenomenally sage things to me – a person she had no reason to comfort except simply because she could – in that first email, and then, some time later, she sent me a list of good breakup songs.  I had no idea how much I needed those songs, how hard they would make me cry or yell or laugh (bitterly), and how badly I needed those exact reactions, and how quickly the songs would become essential parts of the soundtrack to my life.  Just to share the wealth a bit, here are my top three: 

Music has been a surprising healer for me – I've never cared much about ‘discovering new music’, as my brother and my ex and so many of my friends do, but that list of songs was the start of something for me.  When I came back to SF, broken and raw, I found that listening to the radio was like violently rubbing salt and vinegar and cayenne pepper into the wounds in my heart.  Every song was either a too-on-point bawl-inducing ballad about the end of a relationship or a sweet (and therefore bitter-tears-inducing) love song.  I couldn’t trust my usual stations, so I started playing music through my phone with a tape converter (yeah, yeah, my car is old), and the playlist I made from my new friend’s suggestions has seen a LOT of action in the past nine months.  And as I’ve changed, so have my reactions to the songs; one day I’ll be shouting happily along to Ani DiFranco, the next I’ll sob to Caitlin Rose, and the next The Mountain Goats will have me singing determinedly about getting through this and out the other side stronger.  Oh, and then there’s this song, to which my best friend from college videotaped herself dancing ridiculously the second week of my breakup; that video made me laugh and cry violently at the same time, and the song became a rapid favorite on the breakup mix.

I will say one good thing about this miserable period of my life: for the first time I can remember I don’t want to slow down time.  I realized that as I drove up to Napa today, alone on a route that used to be a favorite hour and a half spent with my ex.  My music ended and, going 70mph on the freeway, I didn’t have much focus to give to what to play next – I wound up randomly choosing Continuum, a John Mayer album my brother gave me for Christmas years ago when I thought I didn’t like John Mayer.  I changed my mind with this album, and listened to it a lot, but never realized until today what a good breakup album it is.  Especially this song, which I played twice in a row this evening, and this, which is exactly how I feel on a good day.

But back to the point: this song used to make me ache with the knowledge of how fast the ‘best years’ of my life were flying past (especially my senior year of college, too much of which I spent mourning the upcoming loss of that life instead of enjoying it while I was living it).  I’ve always been terrified by how quickly time slips through my fingers, but for once I feel relieved by the speed with which the months turn over.  I am going to make it through this, and every week that flies by ‘too fast’ is another week I’ve survived, and gets me another week closer to healing.

I’ve made it this far, held on tightly to myself through the worst kind of emotional tornado, and I’m starting to believe I’ll survive the rest – maybe I’ll even be happy on the other side of this, regardless of whether or not my ex ever makes any amends.  Right now it’s nearly impossible to imagine myself in a loving, safe relationship, but my logical brain says I deserve it, and if the days and weeks and months keep sliding by at this pace, disorienting though it is, I’d like to think I’ll find out whether it’s right soon enough.

Comments

Chip said…
People who talk about high school or college being the best years of your life should turn off Glory Days and live a little.
Anne said…
I was talking more about feeling that way when I was IN it, but I agree that there should never really be a 'best years' period – ideally your best years are the ones you're living all the time, for different reasons.

Popular posts from this blog

Do fat women have it worse than fat men?

I've always said that being fat is harder on women than it is on men.  Not only is there a lot more societal pressure to be stick thin rather than just healthy, which men don't seem to get, but it's a lot harder to be seen as physically attractive if you're even ten or fifteen pounds overweight. Anyway, it seems I'm not the only one thinking these things.  There's an article in the NYTimes today about overweight and obese women doing worse than men financially, an interesting angle on the effects of obesity, and in it they say: Why doesn’t body size affect men’s attainment as much as women’s? One explanation is that overweight girls are more stigmatized and isolated in high school compared with overweight boys. Other studies have shown that body size is one of the primary ways Americans judge female — but not male — attractiveness. We also know that the social stigma associated with obesity is strongest during adolescence. So perhaps teachers and pee

Can technology help me Lose It, or will I get lost in the numbers?

A few weeks ago I downloaded a new app for my iPhone called Lose It. It’s a calorie counter, but it also incorporates exercise, and the best part is that it’s pretty non-judgmental, as these things go. It lets you choose your own goal, and how fast you want to lost the weight, and then it just calculates the numbers for you. For example, I told it my current weight (I don’t want to talk about it) and that I wanted to lose thirty pounds (yes, hopelessly idealistic) in six months (hey, you gotta have some realism). And it told me my calorie allowance was roughly 2,100 per day. Way higher than I expected! Which is the other thing about this app: it makes me feel good about my eating habits! I have it tracking my nutrients as well, and besides the fact that I eat about twice as much sodium as I’m supposed to (yeah, yeah, whatever. Salt is gooooood), I’m pretty on-target with everything else. And I’ve been coming in under my calorie count pretty much every day. Even Easter! And I

Hitting bottom.

“Well, maybe that’s not such a bad thing,” my mother says when I tell her I can’t eat and I’m losing weight as a result of my most recent heartbreak, “maybe when all this is over you’ll look in the mirror and –” I have just enough strength left in me to stop her before she completely echoes the voice in the back of my head, the one that’s been telling me that not eating for days, while it might fuck up my metabolism in the long run, might also make me more attractive to potential new men in the short term. But I don’t want to be attractive to new men – never mind the nagging fear that it's impossible.   I just want my man to come back and erase everything he’s done to me in the past nine months.   I want to wake up tomorrow and have this all be a bad dream – the cheating, the lies, the images in my mind of him holding that conniving, revolting, vile girl in our bed, the searing pain in my heart that keeps me awake nights – and I want to roll over and playf