Skip to main content

An update and a bit of self-flagellation

Many many apologies for my protracted silence...I seem to be extending a lot of those lately: to readers of my baking blog; to my Twitter followers; to my long-suffering agent and even longer-suffering publicist; to friends and family; even to my personal, handwritten journal (yes, I know that's a silly, romantic thing for a memoir-writer and blogger to have, but I am nothing if not romantic about handwritten things).  Seriously, I just had to 'update' my journal – yes, as if it were a person who's been at the edge of her seat waiting for news – after a whole year of nothing.  If that doesn't tell you how busy/distracted I've been, nothing else will get it across.

In the time since I last posted, a lot has happened, but the most important things are that I finished editing/proofing the book (which is now available for pre-order – ZOMG) and that I started a new job (at the same company), which is much more involved and the beginning of which also happened to coincide with the beginning of book publicity; my life of late has had much more to do with publishing and photo shoots than it has with writing or even reading.  But don't worry: I haven't forgotten about you guys (or my thighs, ever).  I have a list of blog-posts-in-waiting as long as my forearm (which is getting jigglier every day I don't have time to do my evening weights session), and I'm hoping to crack down soon and get some of them written before I completely forget what I was originally planning to say (I literally have an email to myself that says something like "waddling/appreciation for where I am" – WTF?).

But not tonight.  Because tonight was already mostly gone by the time I got home, and for the hour that I have left before bed I really need to close my allergic eyes (yes, I get allergies in the winter – WTF again) and allow my brain some precious thinkless time.

Soon, though, I'll get it together.  And then we can talk all about my clothing issues and my current favorite artist and how society is an asshole to perfectly normal-looking (even hot-looking) women in the public eye.  I promise.  For now, though, I'm going to lie here on the sofa and not think.  I suggest those of you who are stressed out do the same.

Thanks for your patience, kids.  You're the best.

xoxo

Comments

Emily said…
Yay your life is so glamorous. Also, I wish I knew how to not think. BRAIN IS SO LOUD THESE DAYS.
Anne said…
HA, 'glamorous' is so not an accurate word for how I feel (or look) these days, but I'm glad your imagination is kinder to me than reality. And the secret to shutting up the brain is to tucker it out – it's like an overactive puppy. Just run it around until it's so tired all it can do is sit in the corner and pant.

Popular posts from this blog

This book stuff is harder than it seems...

So as I think I may have mentioned, I have to write a book for my MA in Creative Nonfiction, and I decided to write a memoir about this whole GB experience, including childhood stuff and family dynamics in addition to the process of surgery and the mental and physical results of the change.  I thought it would be so easy.  I mean, I spend 90% of my time thinking about my body anyway, how hard could it be to put those thoughts down in the form of an interesting, structured narrative? NOT, that's how easy.  I haven't written one single word of the book, and I'm having a really hard time starting.  And the longer I put it off, the more afraid I am of failing at my goal to write a funny, frank narrative; I'm terrified it'll end up as a 'poor me' memoir, and I'll have proven my dad right in saying that this project is self-indulgent and useless.  And that's not the only surprise stumbling block... When I tell people what I'm writing about, they al...

More scars, inside this time.

I was supposed to get married yesterday.   I had the dress, the caterers, the guest list – most importantly I had the man, whom I loved with a certainty I’d long thought impossible. But I didn’t.   Get married, or have the man, as it turned out.   I was cut brutally loose, with little warning, and spent the summer floundering and desperately trying to weave together some semblance of a life for myself from the shreds of who I was before things imploded. The good news: I’m getting there.   I’m in therapy, which is helping me strengthen my emotional core; I’m dating new people, which is a constant reminder that I’m not totally worthless to every male member of the human race; I’m actively looking for a full-time job (and the health insurance that comes along with it); and I’m reconnecting with my amazing, wonderful girlfriends, a gang of whom spent the weekend with me at a vacation cabin in Healdsburg, distracting me from my sorrows w...

Can technology help me Lose It, or will I get lost in the numbers?

A few weeks ago I downloaded a new app for my iPhone called Lose It. It’s a calorie counter, but it also incorporates exercise, and the best part is that it’s pretty non-judgmental, as these things go. It lets you choose your own goal, and how fast you want to lost the weight, and then it just calculates the numbers for you. For example, I told it my current weight (I don’t want to talk about it) and that I wanted to lose thirty pounds (yes, hopelessly idealistic) in six months (hey, you gotta have some realism). And it told me my calorie allowance was roughly 2,100 per day. Way higher than I expected! Which is the other thing about this app: it makes me feel good about my eating habits! I have it tracking my nutrients as well, and besides the fact that I eat about twice as much sodium as I’m supposed to (yeah, yeah, whatever. Salt is gooooood), I’m pretty on-target with everything else. And I’ve been coming in under my calorie count pretty much every day. Even Easter! And I...