Skip to main content

I should be happy...


Things have been crazy lately.  I’ve finished my MA, started looking for a full-time job, and gotten an agent and a book deal, all in quick succession.  It’s all happening really fast, and it’s almost all good news; as my friend pointed out on Facebook when I announced that I had a publisher, I’m finally profiting from my all-consuming neuroses.  They’ve always been the source of my self-deprecating humor, these nerves of mine, but they were never much good for anything else until now.  Suddenly, I have an audience for my particular brand of crazy, and everyone around me seems to be thrilled on my behalf.  I should be thrilled too, and I am, I keep insisting… well, my logical brain is thrilled.

The thing is, in my heart I’m terrified.  Publishing a book about my body anxiety publicizes it, and while I’ve always been one for publicizing my issues on a conversational level, I’ve never really had to deal with a large audience before.  Even this blog only has a few cherished followers and a smattering of googlers.  So I’m anxious about what happens next, and especially about the pressures associated with my particular choice of topic: will people expect me to be constantly dieting and working out, and if I’m not (which is most of the time), will I get hate mail from people who think I’m a lazy slob who complains about her body without trying hard enough to change it?  Will I get reviews saying I’m charmingly neurotic, a new sort of everywoman, or will they label me a whiner who’s trying to profit from having been fat and taking the easy way out?

And it’s not just about what other people think – I’m judging myself much more harshly in the light of future publication.  I’m worried I don’t work out enough (though I’ve become more disciplined lately), concerned about every sugary bite that goes into my mouth.  I’m also up nights fretting over what should be in the book and isn’t because it didn’t flow correctly, worrying that I haven’t given my readers enough information.  And perhaps worst of all, I still feel shitty about my body, and now I’m beating myself up over than even harder than usual.

Lately I’ve been feeling like the fattest girl in every room.  I’ve always had slim friends – kind of extraordinarily slim, too, often smaller than a size 10 – but for some reason it seems like the more friends I make, the smaller the average size gets.  Maybe it’s a sort of aspirational technique – my parents always used to say that one reason I did better in school than my brother, despite our equal IQs, was that I surrounded myself with the best and brightest and aimed for the top, while he surrounded himself with the mediocre and aimed for the middle.  And maybe it’s that way with my body, maybe I gather the slim gals around me in the same way that dieters tape photos of models to their refrigerators, as inspiration.  But if so, it doesn’t seem to be working.  All it does is make me feel like the elephant in the room.

And then I beat myself up for feeling that way.  The point of my book was to work through my issues, and also to show them to the world and myself as issues that most women deal with, no matter their size/diet/surgical history.  And the aim I had for myself, which is also laid out in the last chapter of the book, was to stop focusing so much on my body and try to work on my mindset – if my boyfriend loves my body, and I know it’s healthy, and most of the world doesn’t think it’s revolting, then why do I have to hate it so much?

But I’m failing at that aim these days.  I don’t know if it’s the book deal or just the beginning of winter doldrums, but lately all I see when I look down at my body is rolls, flab, and excess skin.  I work out and I’m feeling great and kicking my own ass and then, mid-plank, I look down at my legs and see the skin hanging off the thighs like an upside-down mountain range and I drop down onto my mat and feel like crying.  Of course I make myself get back up and keep going, but it’s gotten bad enough that I’m thinking about surgery again.  And that was so not the point of trying to change my mindset.

I don’t know… hopefully I’m just in a bit of a depression and I’ll come out of it soon.  And as for the book, I’m just crossing my fingers that the excited part of me will take over some time soon, and the terrified part can go sit in the corner until it’s all over.

For now, all I can do is keep at it: working out, editing the book, and pretending everything’s fine in my heart.  Because one day it will be fine again, and until then there’s no point upsetting the people around me.  Especially my editor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do fat women have it worse than fat men?

I've always said that being fat is harder on women than it is on men.  Not only is there a lot more societal pressure to be stick thin rather than just healthy, which men don't seem to get, but it's a lot harder to be seen as physically attractive if you're even ten or fifteen pounds overweight. Anyway, it seems I'm not the only one thinking these things.  There's an article in the NYTimes today about overweight and obese women doing worse than men financially, an interesting angle on the effects of obesity, and in it they say: Why doesn’t body size affect men’s attainment as much as women’s? One explanation is that overweight girls are more stigmatized and isolated in high school compared with overweight boys. Other studies have shown that body size is one of the primary ways Americans judge female — but not male — attractiveness. We also know that the social stigma associated with obesity is strongest during adolescence. So perhaps teachers and pee

Can technology help me Lose It, or will I get lost in the numbers?

A few weeks ago I downloaded a new app for my iPhone called Lose It. It’s a calorie counter, but it also incorporates exercise, and the best part is that it’s pretty non-judgmental, as these things go. It lets you choose your own goal, and how fast you want to lost the weight, and then it just calculates the numbers for you. For example, I told it my current weight (I don’t want to talk about it) and that I wanted to lose thirty pounds (yes, hopelessly idealistic) in six months (hey, you gotta have some realism). And it told me my calorie allowance was roughly 2,100 per day. Way higher than I expected! Which is the other thing about this app: it makes me feel good about my eating habits! I have it tracking my nutrients as well, and besides the fact that I eat about twice as much sodium as I’m supposed to (yeah, yeah, whatever. Salt is gooooood), I’m pretty on-target with everything else. And I’ve been coming in under my calorie count pretty much every day. Even Easter! And I

Hitting bottom.

“Well, maybe that’s not such a bad thing,” my mother says when I tell her I can’t eat and I’m losing weight as a result of my most recent heartbreak, “maybe when all this is over you’ll look in the mirror and –” I have just enough strength left in me to stop her before she completely echoes the voice in the back of my head, the one that’s been telling me that not eating for days, while it might fuck up my metabolism in the long run, might also make me more attractive to potential new men in the short term. But I don’t want to be attractive to new men – never mind the nagging fear that it's impossible.   I just want my man to come back and erase everything he’s done to me in the past nine months.   I want to wake up tomorrow and have this all be a bad dream – the cheating, the lies, the images in my mind of him holding that conniving, revolting, vile girl in our bed, the searing pain in my heart that keeps me awake nights – and I want to roll over and playf