Skip to main content

The Isolating Side-Effect of GB

Weight loss surgery is controversial.  This isn't news.  But what you may not realize is that it's not just controversial among thin or 'normal' people, but in the fat community as well.

Whenever I visit any sort of 'fat acceptance' website, I'm always startled by the attitude toward GB and surgeries like it (WLS, in short form).  Today, I came across this interesting article on being a 'Smaller Fat' – the strange limbo that those of us who are BMI-defined as obese but who look 'normal' enough to pass – and I was all set to write a post about the main article.  But then I read the comments.

One commenter talked about the strong support system she had at her workplace in the medical profession, where people understand that BMI isn't everything and fat people should be understood instead of tormented.  Lovely, right?  But then, in a parenthetical aside, she mentions that one of her supporters is a doctor who "had to autopsy a bunch of WLS victims" once, and therefore (it is assumed) is on the side of understanding fat rather than attempting to fight it.

The one that really got me, though, was the last sentence of a long and interesting comment on what the numbers really mean and how judged people feel as a result of their weight/BMI.  The commenter made multiple valid points about the media and the overdramatization of the fat 'epidemic', and then she ended with this: "WLS - Sorry, not my preferred way of dying. *glares at doctor recommending it*"

It's kind of weird for me to read stuff like that.  When I was considering the surgery, I never once considered that I might be betraying the fat community.  I guess I never really felt like part of that community, to be fair, but somehow I still feel like they view me as a traitor.

After surgery, though, I find myself isolated twice: not just hovering in limbo between 'normal' and 'obese', but also feeling like I'm neither an accepted part of the thin world nor welcomed in the fat world.

I think that's a little bit ridiculous.  Surely I feel a lot of the same injustices and anxieties as people in both camps.  Women (and men) all over the world have issues with their bodies, and whether they resort to WLS, or go on the cabbage soup diet for a month, or just spend tons of time and energy and money on their appearance, I'd be willing to bet that nearly all of those people who weren't born with natural confidence have tried something to make them feel like they belong in their bodies.

The vilification of WLS in the fat community is counter-intuitive, to me.  I get that they don't want to be pressured into it, but does that mean that everybody who has it is inherently weak or stupid?  Willing to risk our lives for a chance at what we thought might be normalcy?  It seems unnecessarily stubborn to me to refuse an opportunity to change what you can't accept about yourself, if only so that you can self-righteously fly the flag of self-acceptance in the face of those who took that chance.

I don't know.  I'm not sure how to structure my thoughts on this issue, but I do sense another chapter forming in my mind.  I'm not sure I can send my manuscript out without any comment on this strange limbo that some of us occupy.  But if I can't even formulate a blog post coherently because I'm so mixed up, how on earth am I going to get a cohesive, 4000-word chapter out of it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This book stuff is harder than it seems...

So as I think I may have mentioned, I have to write a book for my MA in Creative Nonfiction, and I decided to write a memoir about this whole GB experience, including childhood stuff and family dynamics in addition to the process of surgery and the mental and physical results of the change.  I thought it would be so easy.  I mean, I spend 90% of my time thinking about my body anyway, how hard could it be to put those thoughts down in the form of an interesting, structured narrative? NOT, that's how easy.  I haven't written one single word of the book, and I'm having a really hard time starting.  And the longer I put it off, the more afraid I am of failing at my goal to write a funny, frank narrative; I'm terrified it'll end up as a 'poor me' memoir, and I'll have proven my dad right in saying that this project is self-indulgent and useless.  And that's not the only surprise stumbling block... When I tell people what I'm writing about, they al...

More scars, inside this time.

I was supposed to get married yesterday.   I had the dress, the caterers, the guest list – most importantly I had the man, whom I loved with a certainty I’d long thought impossible. But I didn’t.   Get married, or have the man, as it turned out.   I was cut brutally loose, with little warning, and spent the summer floundering and desperately trying to weave together some semblance of a life for myself from the shreds of who I was before things imploded. The good news: I’m getting there.   I’m in therapy, which is helping me strengthen my emotional core; I’m dating new people, which is a constant reminder that I’m not totally worthless to every male member of the human race; I’m actively looking for a full-time job (and the health insurance that comes along with it); and I’m reconnecting with my amazing, wonderful girlfriends, a gang of whom spent the weekend with me at a vacation cabin in Healdsburg, distracting me from my sorrows w...

Can technology help me Lose It, or will I get lost in the numbers?

A few weeks ago I downloaded a new app for my iPhone called Lose It. It’s a calorie counter, but it also incorporates exercise, and the best part is that it’s pretty non-judgmental, as these things go. It lets you choose your own goal, and how fast you want to lost the weight, and then it just calculates the numbers for you. For example, I told it my current weight (I don’t want to talk about it) and that I wanted to lose thirty pounds (yes, hopelessly idealistic) in six months (hey, you gotta have some realism). And it told me my calorie allowance was roughly 2,100 per day. Way higher than I expected! Which is the other thing about this app: it makes me feel good about my eating habits! I have it tracking my nutrients as well, and besides the fact that I eat about twice as much sodium as I’m supposed to (yeah, yeah, whatever. Salt is gooooood), I’m pretty on-target with everything else. And I’ve been coming in under my calorie count pretty much every day. Even Easter! And I...