Skip to main content

Television gains a few pounds in my esteem

There have been very few fat (ie normal to overweight) people on television in my lifetime, and the ones who did grace my HD were usually the subject of a reality show.  If I saw someone above a size 4, s/he was either on a scary documentary about morbid obesity (I'm not making light of that, by the way, although the fear tactics rub me the wrong way), or part of a competition to lose weight faster than other heavy people (I know some of you really love The Biggest Loser, but I still think it's a bit cruel), or, once and never again (yet), a Bachelor-esque competition to win the heart of a meaty man who digs 'curvy women.'

But regardless of how I feel about the portrayal of fat people on television, the shows that pack a bit more poundage must be doing pretty well, since they're multiplying every year.  I can think of at least 4 get-fit shows, where BL used to be the only one.  TLC has upped its number of weight-centric fear documentaries, too.  And now fictional shows are starting to catch on, it seems. 

First was Huge, which is set in a fat camp and is borderline terrible.  The acting isn't great, but then again, how can you blame young actors who probably could never get a role until this show?  The writing can tend toward clichè, but that's forgiven by the occasional snappy comeback or poignant description of a body part.  In general, actually, it's a pretty decent show, and although certain aspects of the plot are totally ridiculous (a camper-counselor relationship at fat camp?  Really??), the fact that it regularly gives me flashbacks to my own experience with weight loss camp means there must be some serious authenticity going on.  I won't lie: I make the effort to watch every episode online.

And now there's a new sitcom coming out called Mike and Molly, about an overweight couple.  And based on the NYTimes review, it sounds like it might do a nice job of straddling the line between being all about the fat and being a regular sitcom (which would ignore the two elephants in the room).  Now that's something Huge doesn't really do.  Huge's plot lines and character relationships depend on the fat; it's the best part of the show.  But if MandM can show the effect that the main characters' weight problems have on their everyday lives without making it out like fat is all they are, then we just might have a real show on our hands.  Not a reality show, but a show that demonstrates the reality of being overweight through fiction. 

Because isn't it often the case that fiction demonstrates reality more accurately than the truth?  (Well, I hope that won't be the case with my nonfiction memoir, obviously...)  All I know is, every little step toward balancing the scales on tv, in magazines, and generally in the media is a good thing.  And shows about how obese people can't stand and get bedsores don't count as an accurate representation of the weight problem that most people in America and the UK and now even France (HA) are facing.  But hopefully these fictional shows will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do fat women have it worse than fat men?

I've always said that being fat is harder on women than it is on men.  Not only is there a lot more societal pressure to be stick thin rather than just healthy, which men don't seem to get, but it's a lot harder to be seen as physically attractive if you're even ten or fifteen pounds overweight. Anyway, it seems I'm not the only one thinking these things.  There's an article in the NYTimes today about overweight and obese women doing worse than men financially, an interesting angle on the effects of obesity, and in it they say: Why doesn’t body size affect men’s attainment as much as women’s? One explanation is that overweight girls are more stigmatized and isolated in high school compared with overweight boys. Other studies have shown that body size is one of the primary ways Americans judge female — but not male — attractiveness. We also know that the social stigma associated with obesity is strongest during adolescence. So perhaps teachers and pee

Can technology help me Lose It, or will I get lost in the numbers?

A few weeks ago I downloaded a new app for my iPhone called Lose It. It’s a calorie counter, but it also incorporates exercise, and the best part is that it’s pretty non-judgmental, as these things go. It lets you choose your own goal, and how fast you want to lost the weight, and then it just calculates the numbers for you. For example, I told it my current weight (I don’t want to talk about it) and that I wanted to lose thirty pounds (yes, hopelessly idealistic) in six months (hey, you gotta have some realism). And it told me my calorie allowance was roughly 2,100 per day. Way higher than I expected! Which is the other thing about this app: it makes me feel good about my eating habits! I have it tracking my nutrients as well, and besides the fact that I eat about twice as much sodium as I’m supposed to (yeah, yeah, whatever. Salt is gooooood), I’m pretty on-target with everything else. And I’ve been coming in under my calorie count pretty much every day. Even Easter! And I

Hitting bottom.

“Well, maybe that’s not such a bad thing,” my mother says when I tell her I can’t eat and I’m losing weight as a result of my most recent heartbreak, “maybe when all this is over you’ll look in the mirror and –” I have just enough strength left in me to stop her before she completely echoes the voice in the back of my head, the one that’s been telling me that not eating for days, while it might fuck up my metabolism in the long run, might also make me more attractive to potential new men in the short term. But I don’t want to be attractive to new men – never mind the nagging fear that it's impossible.   I just want my man to come back and erase everything he’s done to me in the past nine months.   I want to wake up tomorrow and have this all be a bad dream – the cheating, the lies, the images in my mind of him holding that conniving, revolting, vile girl in our bed, the searing pain in my heart that keeps me awake nights – and I want to roll over and playf