Skip to main content

Showdown in Mexico: Gorda VS Contenta

The lovely bf took me to Mexico a couple of months ago, and I started a blog post there.  Obviously, I never finished it, because I was distracted by the beautiful pool and our personal pastry class and the delectable food everywhere we turned, but I looked at it again today and realized that the subject I wanted to touch on is still worth discussing. 


Basically, I started the post with a photo of the amazing resort where we were staying.  And I mean AMAZING.  I’ve never before in my life stayed at a hotel so beautiful and comfortable and just plain stunning that I didn’t want to leave the compound walls.  I’m all about real Mexico– the people, the culture, the food– but I had absolutely no desire to leave ever.  I could seriously live in this amazing place. 


This is important for you to know, not so I can brag, but so you can understand how pissed off I was to still feel like such a fat cow.  I mean, here I was, with my own private villa with its own private POOL, and the only person who saw my cellulite was my boyfriend, who couldn’t keep his hands off it, but I was periodically miserable.  And it was only sporadic because I refused to let myself sink into fat tears more than once a day.  Any more often would be a disrespect to the resort.

It was just so frustrating.  This was beyond a doubt the most romantic holiday I’ve had in the past few years, and yet I couldn’t stop feeling like I was disgusting and fat and didn’t deserve it.  Which, if I’d let it, could easily have ruined the vacation for both of us.  And it threatened to, a few times.  But luckily the bf managed to walk the very high tightrope between acknowledging my insanity and encouraging it; he did a wonderful job making me feel heard but still putting his foot down and not letting me wallow.

In the end, it was still an amazing experience.  But it was also a wake-up call as to how much my body image still holds me back.  And I’d say I need to get help with my attitude, but instead all I keep thinking is how much thinner I need to get, and how much more nipping and tucking I need.  And I know that in and of itself is a sign of psychosis, but I guess I’m too far gone to believe it.  All I know for sure is that I’m too fat for the world of luxury, and to be honest it shouldn’t be that much work to enjoy a beautiful, romantic holiday with my handsome, attentive, funny, adorable boyfriend. 

I’m really scared that one of these days he’ll lose that patience that’s become a hallmark of our relationship, and where will I be without him?  Selfish, I know– obviously I’d be devastated to lose him in general, but I’m also terrified that the body issues would spiral out of control without him around.  Maybe that’s a sign I need a therapist (like there weren’t enough signs already!), but I really don’t want to establish a relationship with a shrink over here because I’m only going to move back to the states and have to find a new one in a year.  Maybe I should go back to my old high school shrink in SF and just have phone appointments?  I’m not sure I can afford her though…

OK I’m rambling, but the point is that even though I feel like I’m slowly getting better, every now and then I get a wake-up call to how bad the state of my mind really is.  Hopefully one day I’ll be stable enough (financially and locationally) to find a good therapist, but until then I can only hope that writing this book will help me work out some of my issues on my own.

Comments

alittlemoa said…
not planning on going anywhere...

Popular posts from this blog

Do fat women have it worse than fat men?

I've always said that being fat is harder on women than it is on men.  Not only is there a lot more societal pressure to be stick thin rather than just healthy, which men don't seem to get, but it's a lot harder to be seen as physically attractive if you're even ten or fifteen pounds overweight. Anyway, it seems I'm not the only one thinking these things.  There's an article in the NYTimes today about overweight and obese women doing worse than men financially, an interesting angle on the effects of obesity, and in it they say: Why doesn’t body size affect men’s attainment as much as women’s? One explanation is that overweight girls are more stigmatized and isolated in high school compared with overweight boys. Other studies have shown that body size is one of the primary ways Americans judge female — but not male — attractiveness. We also know that the social stigma associated with obesity is strongest during adolescence. So perhaps teachers and pee

Can technology help me Lose It, or will I get lost in the numbers?

A few weeks ago I downloaded a new app for my iPhone called Lose It. It’s a calorie counter, but it also incorporates exercise, and the best part is that it’s pretty non-judgmental, as these things go. It lets you choose your own goal, and how fast you want to lost the weight, and then it just calculates the numbers for you. For example, I told it my current weight (I don’t want to talk about it) and that I wanted to lose thirty pounds (yes, hopelessly idealistic) in six months (hey, you gotta have some realism). And it told me my calorie allowance was roughly 2,100 per day. Way higher than I expected! Which is the other thing about this app: it makes me feel good about my eating habits! I have it tracking my nutrients as well, and besides the fact that I eat about twice as much sodium as I’m supposed to (yeah, yeah, whatever. Salt is gooooood), I’m pretty on-target with everything else. And I’ve been coming in under my calorie count pretty much every day. Even Easter! And I

Hitting bottom.

“Well, maybe that’s not such a bad thing,” my mother says when I tell her I can’t eat and I’m losing weight as a result of my most recent heartbreak, “maybe when all this is over you’ll look in the mirror and –” I have just enough strength left in me to stop her before she completely echoes the voice in the back of my head, the one that’s been telling me that not eating for days, while it might fuck up my metabolism in the long run, might also make me more attractive to potential new men in the short term. But I don’t want to be attractive to new men – never mind the nagging fear that it's impossible.   I just want my man to come back and erase everything he’s done to me in the past nine months.   I want to wake up tomorrow and have this all be a bad dream – the cheating, the lies, the images in my mind of him holding that conniving, revolting, vile girl in our bed, the searing pain in my heart that keeps me awake nights – and I want to roll over and playf