Skip to main content

Back in the Bay

To anybody who actually reads this blog (Derek), you have my apologies. I know I haven’t written in forever, because I was waiting to be inspired to humor and wit, but now instead I’ll just be updating the black hole of cyberspace on my life and my angstiness.
I left London in mid-August, which sucked because I had to leave my boyfriend behind, but I figured I’d be coming home to a land of a slightly more normal body scale. Women in London seem defined in class by their weight, much like Postal Packages. The thinner you are, the wealthier/better educated/generally classier you are. Or at least that’s how I felt there. The only women above a size 4 (US) were big, apple-shaped messes of fake blonde hair and loud offensive voices. Usually they didn’t live in London. (Of course I’m generalizing. Broadly. But I’m going to continue to do so, hiding behind my secure belief that hardly anyone reads this anyway, and Derek knows I’m not really an asshole!)
San Francisco, on the other hand, is diverse not only in race/gender/sexuality, but in body type as well. There are big people, small people, tall people, fat people, pear-shaped people (woo), apple-shaped people, and about a million other kinds of people here, and their shapes seem to have little or no bearing on class/attractiveness. I dig that. So I was excited to come home for that reason. I figured it might be good for my self-image to live in a diverse city again.
But oh boy did I repress a very important influence. When I lived in London I was living with my boyfriend, who is a med student and is ridiculously good to me. These two seemingly unrelated facts are actually inextricably linked: he’s constantly telling me I’m not fat, and that I eat well and am healthy so I should stop hating on myself, and because he’s studying medicine, I sort of almost believe him sometimes. So even though the world outside our apartment made me feel like shit, at least I had a little haven of potential sanity to come home to.
Here in SF, on the other hand, it’s a bit of a flip. The city makes me feel normal (most of the time), and sometimes I even feel sexy (apparently the cheap polyester dress I almost never wear is a man magnet. Noted). But my home is deceptive. It seems cozy, and there’s a lot of love here-– my parents are the silently, invisibly loving types-– but in fact it’s a cesspool of bad body vibes. My mother has been on diets and generally unhappy with her body as long as I can remember (and she’s a size 10 in pants and looks ridiculously slender and hot), except for the short periods of diet success, which are always tainted by the fear that she’ll re-gain. My sister has been unhappy with her body for years as well, and she and my mom discuss little else. And my dad, while he’s not really introspective enough to feel much unhappiness, is brusquely dismissive of my attempts to be happy with my own body/lifestyle, and every now and again slips back into envious watchdog mode: ‘you don’t want to eat those red vines! Here, I’ll save you from yourself.’
So anyway (and may I say how relieved I am that my family takes no interest in my writing and will never see this), it’s not the best environment for someone who tends towards body self-loathing. All I’ve thought about in my spare time since I’ve been back has been diets and gym memberships (which I can’t afford) and Bliss FatGirlSlim (which is actually AWESOME, even on my flabby post-GB ass). But I can’t move out because I’m poor and trying to be a writer, and anyway I love living with my parents (I know, I’m a nerd). I just wish my family could love themselves more, because all their self-hatred rubs off on me in a really bad way, and I’m pretty sure they have no idea. Although, being WASPs, I’m sure if they were made aware they’d immediately repress. Which is my plan for today.
To Do: 1. post blog entry, 2. repress blog entry, 3. rub FatGirlSlim all over body while eating chocolate and watching Extreme Makeover.

Comments

dereklipkin said…
No apologies necessary. :) Your blog is awesome, and just rocks, generally. Kinda like you, and how you rock for being you. Right?

And though it may be tough to be in a potentially negative atmosphere, at least in terms of supporting positive ideas regarding body image, remember that you always have friends just half an hour away. Ones that will be quick to sit and eat gallons of ice cream with you without wincing, eat load of popcorn with you at corny movies, go on a run through the forest with you without breaking a (too-gross-to-touch) sweat, or various other encouraging or supportive activities. Even if you just wanna kick it with some 40s and blunts and some philosophy. Remember...

Nuestra casa es tu casa.

Pues...

Nuestra apartamento es tu apartamento.

Glad to have you back. :)
Emily said…
Woman! It is time to update!

Popular posts from this blog

Do fat women have it worse than fat men?

I've always said that being fat is harder on women than it is on men.  Not only is there a lot more societal pressure to be stick thin rather than just healthy, which men don't seem to get, but it's a lot harder to be seen as physically attractive if you're even ten or fifteen pounds overweight. Anyway, it seems I'm not the only one thinking these things.  There's an article in the NYTimes today about overweight and obese women doing worse than men financially, an interesting angle on the effects of obesity, and in it they say: Why doesn’t body size affect men’s attainment as much as women’s? One explanation is that overweight girls are more stigmatized and isolated in high school compared with overweight boys. Other studies have shown that body size is one of the primary ways Americans judge female — but not male — attractiveness. We also know that the social stigma associated with obesity is strongest during adolescence. So perhaps teachers and pee

Hitting bottom.

“Well, maybe that’s not such a bad thing,” my mother says when I tell her I can’t eat and I’m losing weight as a result of my most recent heartbreak, “maybe when all this is over you’ll look in the mirror and –” I have just enough strength left in me to stop her before she completely echoes the voice in the back of my head, the one that’s been telling me that not eating for days, while it might fuck up my metabolism in the long run, might also make me more attractive to potential new men in the short term. But I don’t want to be attractive to new men – never mind the nagging fear that it's impossible.   I just want my man to come back and erase everything he’s done to me in the past nine months.   I want to wake up tomorrow and have this all be a bad dream – the cheating, the lies, the images in my mind of him holding that conniving, revolting, vile girl in our bed, the searing pain in my heart that keeps me awake nights – and I want to roll over and playf

Can technology help me Lose It, or will I get lost in the numbers?

A few weeks ago I downloaded a new app for my iPhone called Lose It. It’s a calorie counter, but it also incorporates exercise, and the best part is that it’s pretty non-judgmental, as these things go. It lets you choose your own goal, and how fast you want to lost the weight, and then it just calculates the numbers for you. For example, I told it my current weight (I don’t want to talk about it) and that I wanted to lose thirty pounds (yes, hopelessly idealistic) in six months (hey, you gotta have some realism). And it told me my calorie allowance was roughly 2,100 per day. Way higher than I expected! Which is the other thing about this app: it makes me feel good about my eating habits! I have it tracking my nutrients as well, and besides the fact that I eat about twice as much sodium as I’m supposed to (yeah, yeah, whatever. Salt is gooooood), I’m pretty on-target with everything else. And I’ve been coming in under my calorie count pretty much every day. Even Easter! And I