Skip to main content

36-24-36? Haha, maybe if I were 5'3"

Oh my god I am SO pathetic. I think I might be in worse shape than I was when I was heavy. Four minutes into my first attempt at what is admittedly a tough workout video (but not this tough) my arms felt like they were going to fall off. Another ten minutes and we were into squats. Well, they were. I was “marching it out” because my thighs were having seizures as a result of the few squats I managed. Luckily they recovered for plie time, but still! I have no idea how this happened. Probably the car my parents gave me for my 22nd bday, mixed with moving to the flat land of London. Yeah, I’m thinking that’s the combo. When I’m here I walk all the time, but it’s flat. When I’m home in SF it’s hilly and I try to walk a good bit but it’s nothing compared to when I used to have to take the bus/ walk everywhere. Gah! Anyway, day one is over, and although I dread the pain of tomorrow I’m also looking forward to feeling buff again. Stupid maintenance-requiring muscles.
In case I haven’t mentioned it before, I’m back in London. And flabby. My time at home was wonderful, filled with friends and family and sunshine. And cookies. And Easter candy. And oh so good and buttery foodstuffs. Not that I gained any weight (because my body doesn’t work in such normal ways), but I did get, shall we say, softer. Only I don’t mean my wit or my sense of humor or human decency. I mean the paunch.
Oh, and of course, last night I got home from two wonderful nights in Paris. The boyfriend took me to celebrate our 2 year anniversary (gah!), and the trip was filled with joy and cuddles and walking and coffee and people-watching goodness. And bread. And 85% fat butter (oh god orgasmic). And chocolat chaud. And froid. Oh, and did I mention all the skinny women? Do I even need to mention them? Stupid skinny women. Like I didn’t feel fat enough.
So there you have it. My first entry into the hell-log. I'll try to only keep you posted when I have something remotely interesting to say.
Right now my head is swimming from 30 minutes of cardio. Seriously. Pathetic.
PS I noted three things while doing the lying-down portion of my workout:
1. we might need a legit vacuum to supplement our less than perfectly effective swivel sweeper. I’ll be looking into dustbusters as soon as I’ve regained lung function.
2. hardwood sticks to imperfectly (read: not) toned backs. I need a mat.
3. my arm muscles seem to have atrophied. It seems having a boyfriend to carry things for you has a downside…
PPS could I BE more pear-shaped? I am so NOT going to post my measurements here but let it be known that my hips are almost 10 inches bigger than my chest! Oh, the agony.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This book stuff is harder than it seems...

So as I think I may have mentioned, I have to write a book for my MA in Creative Nonfiction, and I decided to write a memoir about this whole GB experience, including childhood stuff and family dynamics in addition to the process of surgery and the mental and physical results of the change.  I thought it would be so easy.  I mean, I spend 90% of my time thinking about my body anyway, how hard could it be to put those thoughts down in the form of an interesting, structured narrative? NOT, that's how easy.  I haven't written one single word of the book, and I'm having a really hard time starting.  And the longer I put it off, the more afraid I am of failing at my goal to write a funny, frank narrative; I'm terrified it'll end up as a 'poor me' memoir, and I'll have proven my dad right in saying that this project is self-indulgent and useless.  And that's not the only surprise stumbling block... When I tell people what I'm writing about, they al...

More scars, inside this time.

I was supposed to get married yesterday.   I had the dress, the caterers, the guest list – most importantly I had the man, whom I loved with a certainty I’d long thought impossible. But I didn’t.   Get married, or have the man, as it turned out.   I was cut brutally loose, with little warning, and spent the summer floundering and desperately trying to weave together some semblance of a life for myself from the shreds of who I was before things imploded. The good news: I’m getting there.   I’m in therapy, which is helping me strengthen my emotional core; I’m dating new people, which is a constant reminder that I’m not totally worthless to every male member of the human race; I’m actively looking for a full-time job (and the health insurance that comes along with it); and I’m reconnecting with my amazing, wonderful girlfriends, a gang of whom spent the weekend with me at a vacation cabin in Healdsburg, distracting me from my sorrows w...

Can technology help me Lose It, or will I get lost in the numbers?

A few weeks ago I downloaded a new app for my iPhone called Lose It. It’s a calorie counter, but it also incorporates exercise, and the best part is that it’s pretty non-judgmental, as these things go. It lets you choose your own goal, and how fast you want to lost the weight, and then it just calculates the numbers for you. For example, I told it my current weight (I don’t want to talk about it) and that I wanted to lose thirty pounds (yes, hopelessly idealistic) in six months (hey, you gotta have some realism). And it told me my calorie allowance was roughly 2,100 per day. Way higher than I expected! Which is the other thing about this app: it makes me feel good about my eating habits! I have it tracking my nutrients as well, and besides the fact that I eat about twice as much sodium as I’m supposed to (yeah, yeah, whatever. Salt is gooooood), I’m pretty on-target with everything else. And I’ve been coming in under my calorie count pretty much every day. Even Easter! And I...