Skip to main content

This should have been about yoga.

-->
It’s been a rough couple of weeks since I got back from London.  I went to meet my friend Tess’s baby (he’s as delicious as he looks in the photos) and to see my good friends, but I also went to confront my past there and kind of reclaim my territory – I liked to say I was going to ‘piss all over London’ with a wicked grin on my face, but as the trip approached I got progressively more terrified, until my dad had to give me some of his anti-anxiety meds to stop me hyperventilating in the office the day of my flight.

As expected, being in London was really hard.  One day I walked the southern boundary of ‘our’ old stomping grounds and I could feel the blood pulsing in my brain and heart and I knew I had to change routes and go out of my way.  I likened it to touring a haunted house: ghosts of my relationship were everywhere, reminders of how happy I’d been and how long he’d lied to me, how much I’d put up with it… I walked past pubs where I’d cried on friends’ shoulders and asked them what I should do, and I wished I could go back in time and tell myself to get the hell out of dodge because he’d already fucked someone else and things were only going to get worse the longer I waited for him to ‘figure it out’.  I walked by cafes where he and I had had wonderful breakfasts, holding hands and beaming at each other; I even walked right by the place where we had breakfast the morning before he left me, where we’d talked about wedding colors and he’d reiterated his renewed commitment to me, then not eight hours later he packed a bag and left for his mum’s to ‘figure things out’ (there’s that fucking unsatisfying phrase again).  Luckily I had two great friends with me, who got me through the worst of the emotional landmines London had laid for me, but their presence, while crucially comforting, also kept me from truly facing my feelings about being back in that place where I thought my future had come together, and where I ended up watching that future unravel, picked apart by long cruel fingernails black with deceit.

I came here today to talk about yoga.  I’m really into yoga, and I love how it makes me feel about my body and my mind… I did yoga today, and for an hour all I could think about was breathing and how long will this goddamn plank last.  But obviously one yoga class does not an eased mind make.  It seems I can’t escape this pit that keeps reopening in my chest, so for now I’ll just say this: IOU one post on yoga and body image.  Maybe after the retreat I’m going on in July I’ll be in a better place.

I’m sorry about this time.  I’m just a mess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do fat women have it worse than fat men?

I've always said that being fat is harder on women than it is on men.  Not only is there a lot more societal pressure to be stick thin rather than just healthy, which men don't seem to get, but it's a lot harder to be seen as physically attractive if you're even ten or fifteen pounds overweight. Anyway, it seems I'm not the only one thinking these things.  There's an article in the NYTimes today about overweight and obese women doing worse than men financially, an interesting angle on the effects of obesity, and in it they say: Why doesn’t body size affect men’s attainment as much as women’s? One explanation is that overweight girls are more stigmatized and isolated in high school compared with overweight boys. Other studies have shown that body size is one of the primary ways Americans judge female — but not male — attractiveness. We also know that the social stigma associated with obesity is strongest during adolescence. So perhaps teachers and pee

Hitting bottom.

“Well, maybe that’s not such a bad thing,” my mother says when I tell her I can’t eat and I’m losing weight as a result of my most recent heartbreak, “maybe when all this is over you’ll look in the mirror and –” I have just enough strength left in me to stop her before she completely echoes the voice in the back of my head, the one that’s been telling me that not eating for days, while it might fuck up my metabolism in the long run, might also make me more attractive to potential new men in the short term. But I don’t want to be attractive to new men – never mind the nagging fear that it's impossible.   I just want my man to come back and erase everything he’s done to me in the past nine months.   I want to wake up tomorrow and have this all be a bad dream – the cheating, the lies, the images in my mind of him holding that conniving, revolting, vile girl in our bed, the searing pain in my heart that keeps me awake nights – and I want to roll over and playf

More scars, inside this time.

I was supposed to get married yesterday.   I had the dress, the caterers, the guest list – most importantly I had the man, whom I loved with a certainty I’d long thought impossible. But I didn’t.   Get married, or have the man, as it turned out.   I was cut brutally loose, with little warning, and spent the summer floundering and desperately trying to weave together some semblance of a life for myself from the shreds of who I was before things imploded. The good news: I’m getting there.   I’m in therapy, which is helping me strengthen my emotional core; I’m dating new people, which is a constant reminder that I’m not totally worthless to every male member of the human race; I’m actively looking for a full-time job (and the health insurance that comes along with it); and I’m reconnecting with my amazing, wonderful girlfriends, a gang of whom spent the weekend with me at a vacation cabin in Healdsburg, distracting me from my sorrows with booze and laughter a