Skip to main content

Hitting bottom.


“Well, maybe that’s not such a bad thing,” my mother says when I tell her I can’t eat and I’m losing weight as a result of my most recent heartbreak, “maybe when all this is over you’ll look in the mirror and –” I have just enough strength left in me to stop her before she completely echoes the voice in the back of my head, the one that’s been telling me that not eating for days, while it might fuck up my metabolism in the long run, might also make me more attractive to potential new men in the short term.

But I don’t want to be attractive to new men – never mind the nagging fear that it's impossible.  I just want my man to come back and erase everything he’s done to me in the past nine months.  I want to wake up tomorrow and have this all be a bad dream – the cheating, the lies, the images in my mind of him holding that conniving, revolting, vile girl in our bed, the searing pain in my heart that keeps me awake nights – and I want to roll over and playfully punch him where he sleeps next to me, tell him he’s in trouble for breaking my heart in a dream.

But it’s not a dream.  He really did have an emotional and physical affair with the one person in his life I truly despise.  He really did take six and a half years to pull down all my walls, slowly and painstakingly convince me that it would only be a good thing to give him 100% of my heart, propose to me and get an emphatic yes, and then take all my vulnerabilities and torment me with them for months before finally confessing to sleeping with her.  And even the confession was like pulling teeth, the lies piled on thick and fast and only ever blasted away in pieces by my tearful fury and flying fists.  

First it was a desire, that was all, then a kiss, forced upon him, which he immediately regretted.  After I left the restaurant in tears and he followed me home an hour later, I found out they’d slept together – only once, he said – and I lost my mind.  But upon forcibly taking his phone and reading their texts to each other, I found out it could get worse: he called her by the names he called me, ‘beautiful’ and ‘gorgeous’, words it took me years to believe, bandied about as a blueprint for how to talk to the other person in his life (I can’t call her a woman – if you knew her you’d understand why).   I also discovered that when he said he’d cut off all contact, said it as if he’d done so months ago, he meant two days previously.  Two days.  The whole week that I was waiting for him to decide my fate, when he was ‘cutting himself off from the outside world’ to think about his needs and whether he wanted to share his life with me, he was texting that cunt.

Rock bottom, right?  No, still not yet.  After I kicked him out, at 2am, I scoured his ipad for anything that could help me make sense of this, find a footing or even just a timeline, since he took his phone back before I could see when the emotional affair had started.  I didn’t find any information about how long he’d been seeing her, but I did find emails – long, heartfelt missives that should have been for me, but were instead for her.  Saying things like “here I am, laying my heart utterly open for you, telling you my deepest concerns and holding nothing back” and “I love you, and the strength of it surprises and scares me” and, perhaps the worst because it comes directly from a fear I divulged to him that I’d somehow tricked him into loving me: “You are the only girl I have spontaneously told I love.” 

I tortured myself reading those emails – I’m still torturing myself reading them.  I’m terrified I’ll never be happy again, that even if I do find someone who can make me feel loved, I’ll never again feel as loved and adored and as safe as I felt with him.  But then if I felt that safe with him, if he was the one person in the world I trusted with every insecurity, every inch of my heart, and he could do this to me, and for so long, and make me feel as if I was somehow lacking, I’d somehow driven him to confusion over whether he wanted to be with me… I just don’t understand it.

And I can’t figure out what I want or need.  Everyone keeps telling me to take care of myself – my mother wants me to come home immediately, but he waited to do this until my safe place was no longer that; my friends want me to get out of the flat and interact with the world, sort of ‘fake it ’til I make it’, and sleep with other people immediately (although obviously that requires someone to be attracted to me); and he wants me to stay and ‘fix us’, which I’m not at all sure is possible but which I want more than anything in the world.

If I go, he and I can’t go to therapy together, can’t be face to face, and have less of a chance to reconcile.  On the other hand, I don’t know that I ever will be able to forgive him, and while I’m here I’m falling apart completely.  I’m alone in my flat all day, thinking of him and hurting and crying and searching for answers I’ll never get, and when I do go out everything reminds me of him.  I moved to London for him, so of course everything about this city is infused with the good parts of our relationship.  Unfortunately, I also shared the rest of my heart-homes with him: NYC, San Francisco, Rome, Amsterdam, even the small LA town where I grew up.  And I hate him for that, for taking away all of my safe places by filling them with wonderful memories of our amazing relationship and then breaking everything into a thousand shards.

I hate myself too.  For not being more suspicious, so I might have caught the affair before it did so much damage (maybe even before he proposed, which I still don’t understand why he would do).  For sticking around and supporting him through his ‘confusion’ over our relationship, which really turned out to be confusion about who he wanted and which I could never do anything about.  For working so hard to support his career when he was just going to throw me away like so much trash when he began it in earnest.  For torturing myself by wracking my brain for times when something didn’t seem right: phone calls when he was away where he acted distant and now I wonder if she was there; cryptic FB statuses that I now think might have been meant for her; amazing lunches out where he’d be all over me one minute and texting (probably her) the next.  And most of all, I hate myself for still loving him, for wanting so desperately for him to comfort me – because he’s the only person who can comfort me right now, but he’s also the only one who can’t.

One thing I will say for myself: as desperately as I wanted to, I didn’t make a move on my best guy friend when he came all the way from Oxford on a work day just to spend a few hours with me.  He held me while I sobbed, and told me I was too good for this, that I’m crazy to think nobody will ever love me again, and all I wanted was to take our relationship a step further, to beg him to make me feel loved and wanted again.  But he is in a relationship, and I am not her.  I don’t use people for my own selfish ends, and I do care about integrity and supporting my friends’ relationships and being a decent human being, even when I am completely broken and desperate for someone to hold the pieces in place, if only for a moment. 

But that was little comfort last night when I went to bed alone, again, and woke up this morning to find, yet again, that it wasn’t a bad dream.  When I peeled myself out of our bed and tried not to start the day with tears.  When I opened the fridge door and looked at the yogurt and fruit my friend M had brought me in a loving attempt to get me to eat anything, and felt like I might throw up if I put anything in my aching stomach.  When I closed the door, sat down on the kitchen floor, and wept like a broken thing over and over again.

I suppose I’ve stopped falling.  This must be rock bottom, I think, because the lies and the broken trust will be the same even if I find out he’s still seeing her or he’s cheated other times.  Now the only question that really matters is which smooth-faced rock wall do I attempt to somehow climb to get out of here?  I don’t know, but I’m hoping I can make a decision soon, because it’s dark and cold down here at the bottom and I’m quickly dehydrating from all the crying.

Comments

Faye said…
When God closes a door he opens a window. Well, He's thrown open the patio doors for you! From the sounds of it any man would be lucky to be with you and you've dodged a bullet by getting away from yer man! It really hurts right now but things WILL get better. Who'd want to be with a cheating a-hole anyway? Obviously something really wrong with him and you shouldn't blame yourself. You didn't make him this way. Good luck!
Anne said…
Thanks, Faye. I'm trying to believe all that...
Fiona Richardson said…
There's nothing wrong with forgiving someone for hurting you, you can trust them again, I chose to do that in a similar situation and I'm glad I did, choose the option that your heart wants to do, not your head xx

Popular posts from this blog

Do fat women have it worse than fat men?

I've always said that being fat is harder on women than it is on men.  Not only is there a lot more societal pressure to be stick thin rather than just healthy, which men don't seem to get, but it's a lot harder to be seen as physically attractive if you're even ten or fifteen pounds overweight. Anyway, it seems I'm not the only one thinking these things.  There's an article in the NYTimes today about overweight and obese women doing worse than men financially, an interesting angle on the effects of obesity, and in it they say: Why doesn’t body size affect men’s attainment as much as women’s? One explanation is that overweight girls are more stigmatized and isolated in high school compared with overweight boys. Other studies have shown that body size is one of the primary ways Americans judge female — but not male — attractiveness. We also know that the social stigma associated with obesity is strongest during adolescence. So perhaps teachers and pee

Can technology help me Lose It, or will I get lost in the numbers?

A few weeks ago I downloaded a new app for my iPhone called Lose It. It’s a calorie counter, but it also incorporates exercise, and the best part is that it’s pretty non-judgmental, as these things go. It lets you choose your own goal, and how fast you want to lost the weight, and then it just calculates the numbers for you. For example, I told it my current weight (I don’t want to talk about it) and that I wanted to lose thirty pounds (yes, hopelessly idealistic) in six months (hey, you gotta have some realism). And it told me my calorie allowance was roughly 2,100 per day. Way higher than I expected! Which is the other thing about this app: it makes me feel good about my eating habits! I have it tracking my nutrients as well, and besides the fact that I eat about twice as much sodium as I’m supposed to (yeah, yeah, whatever. Salt is gooooood), I’m pretty on-target with everything else. And I’ve been coming in under my calorie count pretty much every day. Even Easter! And I