Skip to main content

Hooray for a more normal image in the general media!

So I'm watching my trashy TV (VH1, 'nuff said), and unfortunately it isn't recorded so I can't fast-forward through the commercials. Or maybe that's fortunate, because if I could fast-forward I would have missed something that made me really happy: an advertisement for Nair Shower Power.

Why, you ask, would I want to see a Nair ad? I mean, I don't even use Nair, because my skin is super sensitive and breaks out (although, according to the ad, the new Nair is great for sensitive skin!). But I saw something that made me hit instant replay twice, and I was pleased to discover that my eyes had not been deceived.

The ad showed four women doing some kind of choreographed dance in the usual Nair style: short shorts, high heels, lots of leg. But this time something was different. One of the girls was normal, or, dare I say, a little thick!

Now, Nair ads have always featured borderline normal-looking women. Slender, but not stick-figures (which makes sense, because stick insects generally have stick legs, and I feel like Nair tends to emphasize curves). But this girl is probably a size 10 or so, which for TV is a big step in the right direction. I just wish I had a video to embed, but unfortunately you

It's one small dance step for woman, one giant pirouette for normal-sized womankind!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This book stuff is harder than it seems...

So as I think I may have mentioned, I have to write a book for my MA in Creative Nonfiction, and I decided to write a memoir about this whole GB experience, including childhood stuff and family dynamics in addition to the process of surgery and the mental and physical results of the change.  I thought it would be so easy.  I mean, I spend 90% of my time thinking about my body anyway, how hard could it be to put those thoughts down in the form of an interesting, structured narrative? NOT, that's how easy.  I haven't written one single word of the book, and I'm having a really hard time starting.  And the longer I put it off, the more afraid I am of failing at my goal to write a funny, frank narrative; I'm terrified it'll end up as a 'poor me' memoir, and I'll have proven my dad right in saying that this project is self-indulgent and useless.  And that's not the only surprise stumbling block... When I tell people what I'm writing about, they al...

More scars, inside this time.

I was supposed to get married yesterday.   I had the dress, the caterers, the guest list – most importantly I had the man, whom I loved with a certainty I’d long thought impossible. But I didn’t.   Get married, or have the man, as it turned out.   I was cut brutally loose, with little warning, and spent the summer floundering and desperately trying to weave together some semblance of a life for myself from the shreds of who I was before things imploded. The good news: I’m getting there.   I’m in therapy, which is helping me strengthen my emotional core; I’m dating new people, which is a constant reminder that I’m not totally worthless to every male member of the human race; I’m actively looking for a full-time job (and the health insurance that comes along with it); and I’m reconnecting with my amazing, wonderful girlfriends, a gang of whom spent the weekend with me at a vacation cabin in Healdsburg, distracting me from my sorrows w...

Can technology help me Lose It, or will I get lost in the numbers?

A few weeks ago I downloaded a new app for my iPhone called Lose It. It’s a calorie counter, but it also incorporates exercise, and the best part is that it’s pretty non-judgmental, as these things go. It lets you choose your own goal, and how fast you want to lost the weight, and then it just calculates the numbers for you. For example, I told it my current weight (I don’t want to talk about it) and that I wanted to lose thirty pounds (yes, hopelessly idealistic) in six months (hey, you gotta have some realism). And it told me my calorie allowance was roughly 2,100 per day. Way higher than I expected! Which is the other thing about this app: it makes me feel good about my eating habits! I have it tracking my nutrients as well, and besides the fact that I eat about twice as much sodium as I’m supposed to (yeah, yeah, whatever. Salt is gooooood), I’m pretty on-target with everything else. And I’ve been coming in under my calorie count pretty much every day. Even Easter! And I...